Image: Car Accident © Stockdisc-Corbis

Asking the right questions when you get car insurance quotes can save you money and frustration.

Your agent may not discuss your policy in excruciating detail, instead assuming that you'll read it. But if you're like most people, you'll park it in a filing cabinet and forget about it.

A better approach would be to ask questions before your policy disappears into a black hole of paperwork.

To make things easier, we asked insurance agents across the country to give us their tips for what customers should ask their insurance agents but often don't. Here's what they told us.

1. Am I getting all the discounts that my auto insurer offers?

Many car insurance companies offer much more than safe-driver discounts. You may qualify for a variety of other discounts, called credits. Derek Ross, of C.M. Meiers, an insurance brokerage in Woodland Hills, Calif., says insurers offer discounts if your car has safety features such as a car alarm, air bags or an anti-theft or electronic vehicle-locator device. Your insurer may even give you a discount if you park in a garage.

If you drive a hybrid, some insurers offer discounts simply because the vehicle is eco-friendly.

Bragging about your child's accomplishments in school could save you up to 20% on your insurance policy: Ask for a good-student discount (most companies require at least a B average). This generally applies to young drivers up to age 23 or 25.

Being a member of a professional organization -- such as a state bar association or medical board -- within your field can save you money, Ross says. Some insurers even offer discounts if you graduated from a specific college or university.

You could also qualify for low-mileage savings. If you don't drive long distances, some companies will award you a discount based on your annual mileage.

And if you happen to have a homeowners insurance policy with the same company, don't forget to ask for a multiline discount.

2. Do I have comprehensive and collision coverage, and is it worth it?

Comprehensive and collision are separate coverages, and you can buy one or the other, or both. Collision coverage pays for repairs to your car in the event of an accident, no matter who caused it. Comprehensive coverage pays for damage suffered through other events, such as vandalism, flood, theft or tree damage. Both coverages generally require that you pay a deductible.

Alex Soto, a former chairman of the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America and the president and CEO of InSource in Miami, says that collision and comprehensive coverage can be a good idea if you own a newer car. But once your car declines in value, you may want to cancel it.

For example, it may not be worthwhile to pay $400 a year for collision and comprehensive insurance to protect a car that is valued at only $3,000. If you make a total-loss claim, you'll pay your deductible -- say, $1,000 -- and the insurance company then pays the remainder -- in this case, $2,000. Would that $400 premium be worth it?

On the other hand, if your car is valued at $40,000, buying comprehensive and collision coverage for $500 to $600 may be a good idea.

"It is worth it, because while you can afford a $2,000 loss as in the previous example, you may not wish to self-insure $40,000," Soto says. Check the NADA Guides' value of your car each year and decide whether collision and comprehensive coverage is a good bet.

3. Does my policy include uninsured- and underinsured-motorist coverage?

Not all states require you to have uninsured-motorist coverage. (See your state's minimum levels of required autoinsurance.) If you must buy it, your agent will tell you. If not, Ross says, it's an important coverage to consider. If you have collision coverage, damage to your vehicle will be covered if an uninsured driver crashes into you. But if you don't, you may want to consider purchasing coverage for uninsured-motorist property damage, or UMPD.

"A lot of people cannot afford comp and collision," Ross says. "So if you don't have it because you can't afford it, you can get UMPD."