America's most overrated jobs
CareerCast has released its list of jobs that really aren't as glamorous as they seem.
This post comes from Krystal Steinmetz at partner site Money Talks News.
Have you ever dreamed about the glamorous life of a lawyer or advertising executive? It turns out both jobs are anything but, despite what you may have seen on television with "Mad Men" or "Suits."
High stress, weak hiring prospects for entry-level applicants and a so-so annual salary push advertising execs to the top of CareerCast.com's new list of the most overrated jobs in America.
Here are the top five most overrated jobs for 2014:
- Advertising account executive. The projected hiring outlook is negative 1 percent over the next eight years, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Lawyer. If you want dramatic courtroom showdowns like those depicted on TV, think again. "Being a lawyer is a lot of long hours spent poring over reading material and memorizing precedents," CareerCast said.
- Author. It's incredibly challenging (and competitive) to become a published author, especially if you want to write full time, CareerCast said.
- Bookkeeper. Low pay and the threat of automation are hallmarks of bookkeeping.
- Event coordinator. Despite a positive outlook for growth, event coordinators have to be able to adapt to a variety of clients and their demands. It's a "high-stress, high-pressure job," CareerCast said.
Do you agree with CareerCast's rankings? What jobs do you think are overrated and underrated?
More from Money Talks News
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
#6 President of the United States, comes with a 24 hour a day News Station and a Congress that will stop at nothing to link you to anything and everything bad that happens in the U.S. and the world.
With little or no evidence these people will spend billions each year slandering you and debasing everything you do, even though your most disputed law was their idea in the first place.
Union K12 teacher aka babysitter sponge.
We should all have near 40-80k/year jobs were we fail 50%+ of the time(half the kids can't read or do basic math or just quit, this is FACT), get 4 months off and are ran by a corrupt union that funnels union dues to the DNC so we keep our jobs and high pay.
Thumbs down = loving that kids can't read.
They make more than any other teachers in the world and work 9 months tops, but yet think they constantly deserve more $$$.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.