Image: Moving van © Digital Vision, Getty Images, Getty Images

When Sue Jenkins' 35-year-old son moved back home, the Auburn, N.H., family sat down and established ground rules.

"We talked about how we lived our life, our routines and what we expected of him," Jenkins says.

The Jenkinses' situation, in which a grown child moves back home temporarily after a job loss, creates family and financial issues -- and it's becoming increasingly common. More adults from 25 to 34 years old live with their parents now than in 2005, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. For young men, the percentage has grown from 14% in 2005 to 19% in 2011. For women, the figure has risen from 8% to 10% in the same period.

If you're the parent of a grown kid who is moving back home, you may feel overwhelmed by the new living arrangement. Here, experts share ways to set financial parameters for when your adult child returns to the nest.

Begin a dialogue

Family meetings can help avoid misunderstandings, reduce tension and resentment, and set ground rules for behavior in the home, says Betty Frain, co-author of "Becoming a Wise Parent for Your Grown Child: How to Give Love and Support Without Meddling."

Sit down with your adult child and set clear boundaries and expectations for the new living arrangement, Frain says. Think about financial factors such as paying rent, dividing utility bills and shopping for groceries. Also, consider who will do the cooking, and what, if any, hours will be set aside for quiet time.

Talk about guidelines for having friends over, alcohol use, playing music and how long the invitation to stay at home will remain open.

In the Jenkinses' case, the family set up a rule to call ahead if either party was going to come home late or not come home at all.

Ask your child for rent

Maintaining an additional adult in your household costs an average of $300 per month, says Robert Michon, the manager of Foreclosure Resolution Center in St. Charles, Mich.

If your child is able, he or she should contribute to the rent or mortgage on your home, says Linnda Durré, a psychotherapist in Winter Park, Fla. Consider tying payment to your child's income, such as making it 15% of his or her monthly take-home pay.

If your child does not have a job or is unable financially to pay rent, set up a barter system such as exchanging work for room and board. These services might include shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, painting a room or cooking a meal once a week. The exact duties matter less than the responsibility factor involved, Durré says.

Click here to become a fan of MSN Money on Facebook

Come to an agreement

Regardless of whether your adult child will be contributing financially through payments or services, or a combination of both, consider putting it in writing, Durré says. Have your child read through the contract, and make sure both of you agree on the provisions. Then sign and post a copy in a visible place such as the kitchen or the child's room.

Michon says if you agree to allow your child to stay until he finds a job and gets back on his feet, figure out what that's going to take. Then set up steps to make that happen, and write them down. It can be much harder to make changes once your child has been under your roof for several months.

More from

Make it a learning experience

If your child doesn't have a job, consider outlining your expectations for job hunting, says Ruth Nemzoff, the author of "Don't Bite Your Tongue: How to Foster Rewarding Relationships with Your Adult Children." This might include talking to one person each day about an internship, scheduling time for an Internet job search or volunteering at a workplace to gain experience.

For young adults struggling with credit card or student loan debt, a frank discussion about managing debt may be the best approach. Going to a financial planner for professional help is another option.

If your child moves home with kids in tow, keep in mind you may be caring for your grandchildren more than you planned, says Michon. Depending on your child's income level, government assistance for child care may be available.

Review the arrangement periodically

Consider meeting once a month to go over your child's situation. Discuss what is going well and what is not, Nemzoff says.

Click here to become a fan of MSN Money on Facebook

You might be eager for your child to leave, but in the meantime, focus on the perks of the living arrangement, Nemzoff says. "Think of it as a chance to get to know each other as adults and to redefine your relationship for the future," she says.

In Jenkins' case, her son moved out after a short time. "As it worked out, he just needed a roof over his head for a while," she says.

More from