Updated: 10/27/2011 1:53 PM ET|
Simpler saving: The 60% Solution
Even after refinancing our mortgage at a lower rate, we were still often running out of cash before the end of the month. I realized that other fixed expenses had crept upward over the years. As my children, Natalie and Jackson, got older, they needed things like music lessons and sports equipment that added several hundred dollars a month to our basic expenses. They were also outgrowing clothes faster than we could buy them.
The slow but steady growth in our monthly spending commitments was putting a squeeze on our budget. I call these "committed" expenses rather than "fixed" or "nondiscretionary" expenses, because things like music lessons are neither fixed in amount nor absolute necessities, but rather are commitments my wife and I made to provide for our children.
The 60% Solution emerges
After analyzing our spending patterns over a couple of years, I determined that we needed to keep our committed expenses at or below 60% of our gross income to come out ahead at the end of the month.
- Basic food and clothing needs.
- Essential household expenses.
- Insurance premiums.
- Charitable contributions.
- All of our bills -- even such nonessentials as our satellite TV service.
- All of our taxes.
I'm not saying that 60% is a magic number. It's been a workable goal for my family, and it's a nice round number. Your number might well be a bit higher or lower. At any rate, it's a good place to start.
Then I divided up the remaining 40% into four chunks of 10% each, listed here in order of priority:
Retirement savings. This consisted entirely of my payroll-deducted 401k contribution.
Long-term savings. Before I retired, this was also automatically deducted from my pay. I purchased Microsoft stock at a discount as part of an unusual stock-purchase program. The relative lack of liquidity (that is, the difficulty of turning these shares into cash) made it harder to spend this money without some planning and a series of deliberate steps.
Short-term savings for irregular expenses. These were direct-deposited from my paycheck into a credit union savings account. Money in this account was easily transferred into our checking account, as needed, via the Web. This was the money I relied on to pay for vacations, repairs, new appliances, holiday gifts and other irregular but more-or-less predictable expenses.
Fun money. We could spend this on anything we liked during the month, so long as the total didn't exceed 10% of my income.
You may have noticed that only 70% of my paycheck was used for everyday expenses. Because we never saw the remaining 30%, my wife and I didn't miss it.
We didn't really need to track our expenses, because our checking account balance was generally equal to the amount of money we could spend. That's the way a lot of people do it, but they don't first make provision for savings.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Is that what you meant?
Some of these are very good advices. From my perspective I would add something extra. Few years ago I found great way to productively utilize my free time. I am a stay home mom and my kids can safely play by themselves now (under supervision of course) while I enjoy my favorite TV shows ...with one little difference. Now, while I watch I also take online surveys. One thing to another and I managed to make $4000 last year. I know it’s not for everyone, but so are above suggestions. I like taking surveys and getting paid. In the beginning it was very slow since I wasn't signed up for the right survey sites (that pay cash), If you think this could be something for you look up free info sites like surveyjet or zeeses (they both show proof of payments which is great, so you won’t be taking any sweepstake surveys that don't pay ...unless you win)
You say you calculated 60% of the GROSS income.
Then you took the rest and divided it into 4 parts of 10% each.
What about the taxes that you pay on your income?
Let's say you earned $1,000/ week. 60% is $600. Aren't you paying about $300. in taxes? In your calculation, you still have $400 to divide between the 4 categories. What am I missing?
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE and AMEX. See delay times for other exchanges.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Thomson Reuters (click for restrictions). Real-time quotes provided by BATS Exchange. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Interactive Data Real-Time Services. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by SIX Financial Information.
MORE PERSONAL FINANCE SECTIONS & TOOLS