10 tips to save on Free Shipping Day
The annual online shopping event will be held on Dec. 17 this year.
This post comes from Karla Bowsher at partner site Money Talks News.
The annual retail event, created in 2008 by the people behind FreeShipping.org, was designed for those who have put off their holiday shopping and want their online purchases for Christmas to arrive on time.
Here's how to make the most of this event:
- Double-check participants. Many of the stores participating in Free Shipping Day are already listed on FreeShippingDay.com, but others -- and the deals they're offering -- won't be revealed until 12:01 a.m. on Dec. 17.
- Double-check cutoff dates. If you buy a gift online any day between now and Christmas, confirm that the retailer's holiday shipping cutoff dates guarantee your purchase will arrive on time without added fees.
- Think outside the (gift) box. Free Shipping Day isn't just a potential savings opportunity for procrastinating holiday shoppers. If you ever buy anything online -- even if it's groceries or personal care items like shampoo -- this retail holiday could be a great day to stock up.
- Look for specials. Stores participate in Free Shipping Day to help squeeze in more last-minute sales before Christmas, so check for special deals on FreeShippingDay.com and at your favorite store's website.
- Always compare prices. Enter your intended purchase into the search engine of a price-comparison website such as PriceGrabber, Bizrate or Nextag to be sure you are getting the lowest price.
- Check for additional discounts. Do a search for the name of the item plus "coupon" or "promo code" to ensure you're not overlooking extra savings.
- Read the return policy. You'll want to be sure that you or a loved one isn't stuck with an unwanted item.
- Pay with a discounted gift card. If you don't have any, some sites that sell them have electronic versions that can be emailed to you before Free Shipping Day.
- Pay with a rewards or cash-back credit card, but make sure you pay off your balance each month.
- Get a rebate. Rebate websites will essentially pay you to shop.
More on Money Talks News and MSN Money:
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
MORE PERSONAL FINANCE SECTIONS & TOOLS