9 ways to know if you're middle class
There's no hard-and-fast definition, but surveys show what kind of income and lifestyle you're likely to have if you -- and others -- think you're middle class.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
I have a secure job, about $30K a year, and health insurance. And I get three weeks' paid vacation a year, but there's no way I'd blow $4K on one. I wouldn't own a home...that would be nothing more than an anchor around my neck...I need to be able to pull up stakes & bug out in a few days' notice (but that's just me...being single has many benefits). Been to college, under the old GI Bill, and my only child has his own brood (he and his wife combined make about $8K a month). I *loathe* Target as much as I do WallyWorld. It's a big sissy store, if you ask me. I have some cash stashed, but that's it. And as far a political leanings...I feel anyone affiliated with any political party should be shot in the face for treason.
Working Poor- low income, unstable job, need help (Wal-Mart employee)
Working Class- ok income, unstable job, gets by (Union carpenter, teacher)
Middle Class- higher income, somewhat stable job but able to find new job easily, must be careful not to over-indulge (attorney, physician, cpa, small business owner)
Rich- has a lot of money for a specific period but no real long-term stream of revenue (lottery winner, pro-athelete)
Wealthy- works to develop constant streams of revenue. Has enough to be out of work for at least 10 years under same lifetstyle. Cares more about net worth than income. (No specific career, could be same occupation as middle class or working class).
Am I the only one who is sick of so called "celebrities?" Headline say "BREAKING NEWS" and then says princess kate is pregnant!!! Damn!! Is that BREAKING NEWS? sounds like a broken rubber to me. I intentionally did not capitalize "princess" or "kate" is case she reads this post. I believe if she made a hard turd, the media would run around town showing it off. I would asume she puts her panties on just like all other women.
Good Morning Everyone!!!
Ok, now that the lefties and righties have weighed in on their opinions, let's see some raw FACTS:
1. Income. making 60 to 250,000 is NOW the NEW "middle class". With the prices of everything from cars, food and housing climbing higher and higher, it is reaching a level that those making 50k or less can't achieve anymore, leading to a NEW "lower income" bracket. The bar has been raised, and many can not acheive it.
2. Target. EVERY INCOME BRACKET SHOPS THERE, AS WELL AS WALMART.
3. College savings. These days, for MANY, whether they are "rich", middle, lower class, or poor, this is non-existent. Much of their money these days is spent on ESSENTIAL living costs such as fuel, rent, mortgage, food, etc. States across the country also are cutting back on financial assistance, with their budgets already strained, making more of the burden of putting the kids through college back on the parents shoulders. So while the thought of saving those pennies and dollars for the kids education is a noble one with good intentions, it (these days) is NOT reality. And a parent these days, would rather put food on the table, pay for a car repair, or just be able to pay the mortgage rather than dump that money into a savings account that will sit dormant for years.
4. Vacations. These days, people are NOT taking the vacations they used to. I personally have seen, this past season at 3 local Sprint Cup tracks that I go to each year. Each race the grandstands are less and less full, the infield trailer parking is more and more empty, and there are less concession stands as well as vendor trailers. And this is not isolated with racing. More and more, places like Disneyland, Great Adventure, and other vacation resorts are losing patrons, simply because the middle/lower class/poor simply cannot afford the trip.
5. Owning your own home. Another failed philosophy that no longer rewards you after 30 years of a painful mortgage. Many homes after the market collapse now are under water, with homeowners (yes most middle class), stuck with trying to make back at least 1/2 of what they spent paying it off.
6. Secure job: Translation: THERE IS NO SUCH THING ANYMORE. A recent shining example of this, is what just happened with the Hostess company. Even UNIONS are now seeing that they are NOT invulnerable to layoffs and plant closures. Not to mention that once either the fiscal cliff hits, or rep's cave and allow massive tax increases on the rich, layoffs, closures, and unemployment ARE going to skyrocket. That is definate. It's just a matter of how much at this point.
7. Healthcare. Moot issue now, seeing that FORCED healthcare will be starting in about 30 days, thanks to Nobamacare.
8. More people leaning to democrats? Hmmmmm... Yea, I gotta go with that one. It's amazing that people re-elected Nobozo for 4 more years, and refused to hold him accountable for 16 TRILLION in debt. Yet these same voters replaced the gov't with democratic majorities during the 2008 campaign, blaming BUSH and the GOP for the SAME exact issues, such as climbing unemployment, stagnant economy, wasteful spending...Go figure...
9. Retirement. Seeing that social security is now all but bankrupt, unless a MASSIVE increase is done with people's ss deductions, the system WILL crash and burn less than 20 years from now.
All in all, the "middle class" that this writer describes is all but done. The economy is about to crash and burn again, and the ONLY ones that will survive if the cliff does happen are the "poor", as well as the "rich".
A dis-satisfied customer and voter...
The new definition= Making enough money that you should be debt free and have some funds to enjoy, but thanks to high prices, taxes, HEALTH INSURANCE (SCAMMERS!), rising prices on EVERYTHING, ...YOU DON'T.
THere wouldn't be so many of us if so many of them DIDN'T lean left!
To say the majority of the Middle class is Democrat is half the problem.
Forget these 9 things and consder just one. You are middle class if your "fees" and taxes go up next year and your take home pay goes down. Then, you are middle class!
I think blaming one party over the other is useless since neither party has our interests at heart. They are bought and paid for by lobbyists like labor unions, large corporations, and the biggest ever...AIPAC. These are the entities that REALLY control the country. Not your vote.
Think Obama is for the common man? Who was his biggest campaign contributor in 2008? The same one that supported Bush: Goldman Sachs. Think about it.
Uh, y'all realize there's no such thing as a "secure job"? Even politicians are only guaranteed the next 2, 4, or 6 years, depending on which office they hold. If secure jobs existed, there would be no such thing as a golden parachute.
Secure jobs can only exist where there is a guaranteed pension. The employer is going to get as much work as possible before paying for that retirement.
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
[BRIEFING.COM] The Dow and S&P 500 have returned to their flat lines while the Nasdaq continues to hold a modest gain (+0.1%). The retreat from the opening highs was not driven by any particular sector, but rather a broad-based effort that appears to be a continuation of the selling from the past three sessions.
The consumer staples sector (-0.3%), which was the weakest group yesterday, can once again be found among the laggards. Other countercyclical groups also lag with telecom ... More
More Market News
|There’s a problem getting this information right now. Please try again later.|