6 investments more fun than stocks
A vintage Harley, an 18-carat gold Patek Philippe watch, a guitar once owned by the legendary Les Paul -- now that's a diversified portfolio.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Collectibles are fun but NOT a hedge against economic bad times. Usually their prices collapse during hard times--which is the best time to buy them. They collapse not only because there is less disposable income flying around for purchases, but also because in hard times many people look for something valuable to sell to get some badly needed cash. So supply exceeds demand and collectible prices collapse.
And none of these are investments, they are all speculations. Speculation is betting on the eventual sale price being higher than the purchase price, while investments produce cash flow regardless of an eventual sale. Although some stocks have a speculative aspect, the price is eventually based on the future earnings of the company.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
- Aug gold touched a session high of $1311.80 per ounce in early morning pit trade but gave up the gain as it slipped below the unchanged line in afternoon action. It brushed a session low of $1303.50 per ounce and settled 0.1% lower at $1304.50 per ounce.
- Sep silver touched a session low of $20.94 per ounce after retreating from a session high of $21.10 per ounce. It then chopped around near the break-even line and settled unchanged at $21.00 per ounce.
- Sep ... More
More Market News
|There’s a problem getting this information right now. Please try again later.|
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'