McDonald's stuck with 10 million pounds of wings
The company didn't sell enough in its fall promotion and now has them in frozen storage. Here are 4 reasons they flopped.
McDonald's was "unable to sell enough," according to Jargon.
Earlier this year, CEO Don Thompson said that the chicken wings aren't the smash success it had hoped for.
While Mighty Wings apparently met internal targets, the item was "was not strong enough to offset" weak sales trends, Thompson said on a conference call.
Here are some of the reasons they flopped:
- Spice: Thompson said the wings were too spicy for many customers' tastes.
- Appearance: The Mighty Wings looked too much like "McNuggets with bones," writes Susan Berfield at Bloomberg Businessweek.
- Economy: Many McDonald's customers are still struggling financially -- and are more likely to spend their hard-earned money on a tried-and-true favorite.
I would be interested in buying 3 or 4 pounds for my Super Bowl Party. Can pay $2.99 per lb. Cooked and delivered. Hope that helps!
Seriously, over $1 for a half of a wing and no beer or dancers.. It was a flop before it started.
I liked the wings, but thought they were too expensive for what they were.
ever heard of test marketing?
I am fairly sure to test market you do not start with 10 million of ANYTHING!
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
The Philadelphia Fed Survey for September fell to 22.5 from 28.0. Economists polled by Briefing.com had expected that the Survey would slip to 23.5. Nasdaq +21.91 at 4584.1... NYSE Adv/Dec 1778/1016... Nasdaq Adv/Dec 1621/706.
More Market News
|There’s a problem getting this information right now. Please try again later.|
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'