Whole Foods tests online ordering
The upscale grocer is rolling out the trial at a location in Pennsylvania and may expand it to California next year.
By William White
The system, being tested at the retailer's Plymouth Meeting, Pa., location, allows customers to order products online, then pick them up at the nearest store.
Orders of less than $100 require a $5 fee.
WFM reportedly plans to expand the test in 2014 to include a Whole Foods store in Laguna Niguel, Calif., according to CultureMap Austin. If the test is a success, Whole Foods could expand the system to its 320 U.S. stores. WFM also is testing a same-day-delivery system alongside Google (GOOG) in the area surrounding the San Francisco Bay.
Whole Foods' click-and-collect system is similar to Wal-Mart's (WMT) Pick Up Today system, which offers online ordering for same-day pickup at Wal-Mart locations.
The click-and-collect system is among several recent WFM initiatives. Whole Foods also has signed a second lease in the District of Columbia, and bolstered partnerships with Etsy and Yuji Ramen.
More From InvestorPlace
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
- Commodities are mostly lower this morning this morning, while the dollar index is up a modest 0.1%
- Gold and silver have been in the red all day and continue to show weakness
- June gold is now -0.6% at $1285.90/oz, May silver is-1.2% at $19.36/oz.
- May copper is back in the red and is now -0.1% at $3.04/oz
- Energy and mixed after WTI crude oil rallied this morning and natural gas sold off
- May crude is now +0.1% at $104.41/barrel. ... More
More Market News
|There’s a problem getting this information right now. Please try again later.|
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'