Blockbuster nears bankruptcy
The one-time video-rental king could file for Chapter 11 as soon as this week.
By Jeanine Poggi, TheStreet
According to The Wall Street Journal, a Chapter 11 filing could come any day this week.
The company is in its final stages of preparing the filing, which could arrive as soon as today but most likely Friday or next week, the Journal reported.
The article also notes that Blockbuster will try to continue operations but will shutter 500 to 800 more stores on top of the 1,000 it was already planning to close.
Blockbuster is saddled with nearly $1 billion in debt and is scheduled to repay $42 million to creditors on Sept. 30. The company has already pushed back the payment twice.
Shares of Blockbuster are plunging 23% to 6 cents on over-the-counter trading. But NFLX is surging on the news, up 6.2% to a new high of $156.35.
Reports also surfaced last week that billionaire investor Carl Icahn holds about one-third of senior debt, which would give him veto power in any restructuring plans.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
- Dec gold fell deeper into negative territory after pulling back from a session high of $1295.30 per ounce set at the open of floor trade. It brushed a session low of $1281.90 per ounce moments before settling with a 1.1% loss at $1283.10 per ounce.
- Sep silver touched a session high of $20.70 per ounce in early morning action but retreated into the red. Unable to regain momentum, it settled 0.9% lower at $20.41 per ounce, just above its session low of $20.40 ... More
More Market News
|There’s a problem getting this information right now. Please try again later.|
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'