6 money lessons from 'The Sopranos'
In honor of the late actor James Gandolfini, here are some financial words of wisdom from Tony and the crew.
An accomplished actor on stage and screen, the 51-year-old was best known for his portrayal of the tortured mob boss Tony Soprano on "The Sopranos."
His untimely death in Rome sparked an outpouring of support and mourning across the world. Critics noted how Gandolfini transformed and improved television along with the way we watched (and loved and sometimes hated) starring characters.
And although Gandolfini had a number of other great performances -- his recent work in "Not Fade Away" and "Killing Them Softly" comes to mind -- tributes to the actor are also spurring reflections about the show and the role that fit him so perfectly.
In that vein, we'd like to offer our own money lessons from "The Sopranos." Money played a big part in the show, from the garbage bags full of cash that Tony stashed around his property to his fraud involving the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Here are six money lessons from one of the best shows in television history:
1. There's money to be made in any economy.
Tony Soprano, complaining that his captains aren't bringing in more money: "Sil, break it down for them. What two businesses have traditionally been recession-proof since time immemorial?"
Silvio Dante: "Certain aspects of show business . . . and our thing."
Tony: "Now, that's it. That's all I've gotta say. Frankly, I'm depressed and ashamed."
2. Invest in land.
Tony talking to his son: "Buy land, A.J., 'cause God ain't making any more of it."
3. Being the boss is lonely.
Tony: "All due respect, you got no (expletive) idea what it's like to be No. 1. Every decision you make affects every facet of every other (expletive) thing. It's too much to deal with almost. And in the end you're completely alone with it all."
4. Make up your mind and stick with it.
Tony: "A wrong decision is better than indecision."
Tony to one of his men: "It's your job to make my job easier."
6. Pick up the tab and smile.
Tony to Christopher Moltisanti: "You know how many tabs, how many dinners, I've picked up over the years? . . . It's a sign of respect. Why don't you cheer up? One day some kid will be paying for your dinners."
More on moneyNOW
- Chipotle labels its GMO ingredients
- A 'blessed event' for Britain -- and its finances
- Farewell, telegrams: The last one is coming soon
"Rest in Peace" I can see him now getting to heaven and putting on that white robe and standing by that crystal sea waiting with loved ones that have gone on before go on ahead give a shout cause its alright now.
The USA is in permanent, irreversible decline. Our 2 party political system is a joke and is controlled by the Corporations, Lobbyists and the one percenters thru campaign financing. They represent them and not the citizens. Our Government keeps using Elitist, idiotic policies like Free Trade, unrestricted Free Market Capitalism, Trickle down economics, Globalization, Deregulation, Illegal Alien Amnesty, Guest worker programs, Foreign worker visa programs and Militarism which is destroying our country. Our Government is by far more interested in the plight of Illegal aliens than our own citizenry and more interested in rebuilding foreign countries like Iraq and Afghanistan than rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure in the USA and areas devastated by natural disasters. The USA has high unemployment yet our government wants to grant millions of illegal aliens amnesty and bring in more foreign workers. They want to involve us in another war in Syria. The above policies are a failure.
To Save the USA we need to do the following:
1. Discontinue Free Trade policies and implement FAIR trade policies with tariffs and Labor and environmental standards in them. This may bring our manufacturing jobs back.
2. Implement a national workplace verification system using everify and secure our borders and get the illegal aliens to self deport.
3. Take on massive infrastructure rebuilding projects to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure.
4. End our current wars, bring all of our foreign stationed troops home and put them on the border, and use them to secure the border and round up illegal aliens and gang members and respond to natural and man made disasters.
5. Cut the military by 50% to 75%.
6. Implement a National Health Care system so our companies can compete with foreign companies whose health care costs are subsidized.
If this does not turn around the country with in 5 years then we should just implement Socialism. At least the basic needs of the citizenry will be met. Free Market is just an elitist theory to justify keeping the status quo, inequality, leaving problems unsolved and making the 1 percenters wealthier. Our government is a puppet of the Corporations, Lobbyists and the 1 percenters whose goal is to wreak war and poverty onto the citizenry. Free Trade is a failure, has not run a surplus since 1975 and has since run massive trade deficits and sent our manufacturing jobs overseas. Trickle down economics does not work in a global economy and trickles down to low paying jobs and adds to the deficit.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
- A stronger dollar index weighted on the commodities space today.
- Dec gold and Dec silver fell deeper into negative territory, trading as low as $1263.10 per ounce and $19.11 per ounce, respectively.
- Unable to gain momentum, both metals settled with 1.7% losses, with gold closing at $1264.90 per ounce and silver closing at $19.16 per ounce.
- Oct crude oil fell below the $93 per barrel level. It trended lower after pulling back from a session ... More
More Market News
The NBA star could receive as much as $300 million in the 10-year deal, according to reports.
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'