The top 20 colleges for branded products
Who's No. 1 in this competition, which is now a business worth a total of $4.6 billion?
We're entering back-to-school season, and with that flurry of activity comes the traditional donning of school colors and logos at homes and campuses across the country.
But wearing your favorite college and university garb is more than just being true to your school. It's a multibillion-dollar industry that brings in big money for the top-selling institutions and manufacturers.
Earlier this week, Collegiate Licensing Co. (CLC), an affiliate of sports marketing group IMG College, unveiled its annual list of the top 75 best-selling college and university brands. CLC estimated the retail marketplace for college-licensed merchandise at $4.62 billion last year.
Before listing the top 20 best-selling schools, here are some notable facts:
- The top apparel categories for the 2012-2013, included T-shirts, women's apparel, fleece and headwear, according to CLC. Big sellers in the nonapparel category were housewares, sports equipment and video games.
- Nike (NKE) USA has been the nation's premier collegiate apparel licensee for the past two years, and excluding fiscal 2009-2010 and 2010-2011, it has been the top dog in that category since 1999.
- The No. 1 nonapparel licensee is EA Sports, the video-game and interactive entertainment wing of Electronic Arts (EA), a position it has held for nearly a decade.
- The nation's top local licensee is apparel manufacturer Kentucky Wholesale, which produces official products for both the University of Kentucky and the University of Louisville.
- When it comes to the schools, for the eighth year in a row, the University of Texas at Austin -- home of the Longhorns -- had the country' best-selling line of licensed apparel. In its 2013 athletic year report, the university noted it made early $8.4 million from apparel licensing in 2011-2012. And the Austin Business Journal notes the school has reaped between $8 million and $10 million in annual royalties from licensed apparel in recent years.
Here are the top 20 schools for selling licensed merchandise:
1. University of Texas at Austin
2. University of Alabama
3. University of Notre Dame
4. University of Michigan
5. University of Kentucky
6. Louisiana State University
7. University of Florida
8. University of Georgia
9. University of North Carolina
10. University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
11. University of Oklahoma
12. Texas A&M University
13. University of Wisconsin
14. University of Nebraska
15. University of Tennessee
16. University of South Carolina
17. West Virginia University
18. Auburn University
19. Pennsylvania State University
20. University of Missouri
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
More Market News
An interest rate tease in The Wall Street Journal sends the market into an optimistic tizzy -- but one that doesn't end quite at the top.
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'