Monopoly token promotion fires up fans
Beleaguered Hasbro, whose shares have gained only 4% over the last year, could use some positive attention at a time of disappointing overall toy sales.
According to Hasbro, the company had an "amazing" response from its 10 million Facebook fans. People from more 185 countries participated in the campaign.
Interestingly, so did these corporations:
- PepsiCo (PEP). The beverage maker's Tropicana brand backed the wheelbarrow game piece as did wheelbarrow company Ames True Temper.
- Amazon's (AMZN) Zappos and The Jones Group's (JNY) Nine West brand campaigned for the shoe on their Facebook pages.
- General Motors' (GM) Chevrolet and Hyundai (HYMLF) supported the race car token through social media.
- Procter & Gamble's (PG) Duracell campaigned on its Facebook page for the toy robot, while Del Monte's 9 Lives cat food backed the cat.
- Purina Pro Plan supported the Scottie dog.
- Ring Pop candy backed the diamond ring.
- Jolly Time Pop Corn and Hormel Bacon created write-in campaigns to push for popcorn and bacon tokens for the game, according to Hasbro statement provided to MSN.
Hasbro is in Wall Street's doghouse after posting lackluster fourth-quarter earnings. The company, whose other brands include Nerf, plans to cut about 10% of its workforce to reduce costs.
Hasbro declined to provide details about sales of Monopoly, which is based on the streets of Atlantic City. Toys 'R' Us sells about 20 different types of Monopoly games, including special editions, according to a spokeswoman for the retailer.
--Jonathan Berr has never figured out how to live Park Place dreams with a Baltic Avenue bank account. He doesn't own shares of the listed stocks. Follow him on Twitter @jdberr
More on moneyNOW
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +0.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +5.30. Equity futures point to small gains at the open.
Asian markets finished mixed amid a quiet overnight trade.
Economic data from the region was limited to Japan's trade balance, which posted a record March trade deficit of JPY1.71 trln (JPY1.27 trln expected, JPY1.18 trln previous) on a 1.8% rise in exports and 18.1% jump in imports.
More Market News
Serious issues like drought and the deterioration of the developed world spell opportunity for this industry leader.
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'