Even the Tooth Fairy's rates are rising
It seems like consumers are getting socked on every side by higher prices. Now, even kids' lost teeth cost more.
If it seems like you can't get out of bed without the cost of gas, food or services going up, now comes news that the going rate for lost baby teeth has also spiked.
The Tooth Fairy last year left an average of $2.42 per lost tooth, a jump of 15.2% from 2011, according to a poll from insurance company Delta Dental. That rise comes after the Tooth Fairy hit on tough times in 2011, when the per-tooth gift declined.
The higher rates for lost baby teeth might not be all bad news, however. Dental Dental says its "Original Tooth Fairy Poll" actually correlates to the Standard & Poor's 500 Index ($INX), with the poll and the stock index moving in tandem in nine of the last 10 years.
Last year, the S&P 500 jumped 13.4%, almost matching the Tooth Fairy's 15.2% gain, the poll says.
All teeth aren't created equal, the survey found. The Tooth Fairy is most generous for a child's first tooth. That milestone in a kid's adult-tooth development is marked with a gift of $3.49, on average.
The Tooth Fairy visited almost 90% of U.S. homes where children lost a tooth, and the gift of choice was cash (for 98% of children). The other 2% of tooth-losers received toys, candy, gum or other gifts.
More than one-fifth of kids hit it big, with the Tooth Fairy leaving $5 for each lost tooth. The most common amount left under the pillow, however, was $1, with about half of all kids receiving a George Washington in exchange.
Makes perfect since to me.
Lose teeth............ get candy
Get candy...............lose more teeth
i got a quarter and was happy with it, but, there was a REAL penny candy store to spend it in.
I used to save up my money for comic books!
my kid got $10.00 per regular tooth and now that she is missing the baby molars, the tooth pays more for those since they are bigger and ore painful a wopping $40.00!
I know, I know what everybody out there is thinking, but you know what you're a kid only once, so why not make the best of it, while they still believe in that magic!
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
[BRIEFING.COM] The stock market ended the Thursday session on a modestly lower note, but a late-morning rebound lifted the indices off their lows. The S&P 500 shed 0.2% with seven sectors ending in the red.
This morning, European equities and U.S. futures slumped around 6:00 ET after Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko was quoted as saying Russian forces have invaded an area southeast of Donetsk. The news pressured the markets, but a brief uptick took place after a correction to ... More
More Market News
The Ukraine crisis festers and other fresh concerns boil to the surface, knocking down markets and giving volatility some life.
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'