Retailers start to pull some rifles from shelves
Dick's Sporting Goods and Wal-Mart suspend some gun sales after last week's shooting in Connecticut.
Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) has suspended sales of its modern rifles nationwide. It's also taken all of the guns off the shelves at its store near Newtown, Conn., where a 20-year-old gunman opened fire at an elementary school last week, killing 20 children and six educators.
The company said it took those actions out of respect for the victims and their families in this time of national mourning.
The gunman, Adam Lanza, used one of the Bushmaster AR-15 guns in his deadly rampage. A semi-automatic version of the weapon is popular for civilian sporting use, The Dallas Morning News reports. The large retailers selling assault weapons include Dick's, Cabela's (CAB) and Wal-Mart (WMT).
Wal-Mart has stopped showing the Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine M4A3 rifle on its website as well, according to The Nation. There is no word whether Wal-Mart will stop selling the weapon at its stores, however. But Wal-Mart's site still shows that it's selling other guns at its stores, including the Sig Sauer M400.
Cabela's meanwhile, has stocked up on guns and ammunition heading into the fourth quarter -- largely a bet on surging gun sales after the presidential election. Here's what CEO Thomas Millner said in October, according to the Atlanta Business Chronicle:
"At least coming in to the fourth quarter, we’ve taken a pretty aggressive position in inventory commitment to both guns and ammunition. So that’s a starting point. Clearly, if the president’s re-elected, I would expect some surge beyond the current levels, which are really good. And if Gov. Romney is elected ... I still think we’re gonna see gun growth next year. It probably won’t be at the same pace. ... So it’s probably a difference of degrees as we sit here today, but we’re doing a lot of stuff in our stores to make sure we are the easiest, fastest place to shop for your firearms purchases."
More from Money Now
- $85 for a 6-pack? Beer fans shell out for rare brew
To all of you who want to be like the British and their old colonies listen to this: You will lose your freedom to defend yourself. Defending yourself today by any defensive tool in those countries may result in your being prosecuted. Please folks do not let the acts of madmen result in the lose of our right to bear arms. Ref: Google: Right to defend yourself: Ireland has changed law, so why can't Britain?
The higher the density of democrats the higher the crime and murder rates.
I understand that people are afraid of guns. I'm afraid of guns. That's why I have guns. I wish all those that want to get rid of them would take time to educate themselves about the real issues.
(1) The second amendment is NOT ABOUT HUNTING OR ANY SPORTING PURPOSE. It's about protecting yourself from a tyrannical government and is really a much bigger deal than most people want to think about. It was listed "SECOND" so it was considered pretty important. Admittedly, I worry about civilians having access to full powered military weapons but that's what the second amendment is about. It ain't about yer daddy's squirrel gun.
(2) The configuration of firearms can matter in certain circumstances but not as much as the media would have you think. The last "assault weapon" ban was ineffectual and that's why it was allowed to expire. The definition of an assault weapon can be found on the ATF website so I won't go into the details here. The bottom line is that removing assault weapon characteristics from a weapon does little to change it's lethality.
(3) There are an estimated 300 million guns in the US now and probably billions of high capacity magazines. Outlawing new production would be ineffectual as everybody has already stocked up. That leaves buy backs which we don't have the money for, or confiscation which would be real, real, bad ( see item 1)
I worry about kooks with guns too. I worry about them so much that I have chosen to arm myself rather than trust in someone else to protect me.
I think the rifle deserves execution by hanging!!!!! I BET OBAMA, PELOSI, HOLDER, PIERS MORGAN, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, BIG BIRD, HARRY REID, AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER IDIOTS WOULD AGREE WITH ME!!!!
OBAMA AND ERIC HOLDER IS GONNA DRIVE ANOTHER NAIL IN AMERICAS COFFIN WITH THIS ONE WHILE HE'S PROBABLY ARRANGING FOR ANOTHER SHIPMENT OF WEAPONS TO MEXICO!!!!!
oh damm people, how can you have money for mental health, be real. How can you expect a system so corrupted to even care about helping those with problems and doing what they are paid to do. It is far more important to advance gay "rights," to spend billions on legislating garbage to protect the guilty and the thieves in corporate america. How much money is wasted daily with advertizing for idiots so they know that feeding only fast food will have an adverse effect on their children. Add all this money to the other wasted money for training the population to be politically correct and you will see why there is no health care to speak of.
The right to bare arms. huh, guns are getting more dangerous every year it seems. If we continue at this rate you should be able have your on nuclear war gun before year 2025. Then these mentally ill
people can wipe us all out. Now i like having my on gun, but not something that will fire and wipe out a hole school class in one round. Now maybe enough souls have be killed that we might see the light
at the of tunnel. God Bless the ones we have loss.
mandatory death sentences for armed crimes involving death. All gang related violence to carry the same punishment. Instead of wasting money on anti smoking and gay rights campains spend it on mental health.
Take those that constitute a real threat out of society, lock them in a booby hatch until they are no longer a threat. Get real about the problems that are and stop being concerned about all the fairy tale horror story bullsh-t that is rammed down peoples throats (mainly adolescents) on television and movies.
Be involved in your community and end this politically correct horsesh-t, label the useles scum so that others might be aware.
Public hanging is a good place to start
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE and AMEX. See delay times for other exchanges.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Thomson Reuters (click for restrictions). Real-time quotes provided by BATS Exchange. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Interactive Data Real-Time Services. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by SIX Financial Information.
The company tries to tamp down criticism from activists who argue that the mascot promotes childhood obesity.
- Oklahoma senators change tune on disaster relief
- At software giant SAP, autism is an asset
- Mike Bloomberg's next career: Taxi magnate?
- Shotgun wedding for Saks and Neiman Marcus?
- Charles Ramsey gets burgers for life, but no Big Macs
- New Jersey bar sting turns up 'swill'
- Mike's Hard Lemonade goes after male drinkers
- Big job gains expected next year, economists say
- Yum aims to fatten up by doubling Taco Bell sales
[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages ended modestly lower with the S&P 500 shedding 0.3%.
The benchmark average saw an opening loss of 1.2% after Japan's Nikkei tumbled 7.3%. Japanese stocks sold off amid continued volatility in Japanese Government Bond futures as the 10-yr yield spiked almost 16 basis points to 1.002 before the Bank of Japan's JPY2 trillion liquidity injection caused yields to retrace their gains.
Adding insult to injury was news out of China where the HSBC ... More
More Market News
In the never-ending contest for sales, American carmakers are pulling ahead.