Retailers start to pull some rifles from shelves
Dick's Sporting Goods and Wal-Mart suspend some gun sales after last week's shooting in Connecticut.
Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) has suspended sales of its modern rifles nationwide. It's also taken all of the guns off the shelves at its store near Newtown, Conn., where a 20-year-old gunman opened fire at an elementary school last week, killing 20 children and six educators.
The company said it took those actions out of respect for the victims and their families in this time of national mourning.
The gunman, Adam Lanza, used one of the Bushmaster AR-15 guns in his deadly rampage. A semi-automatic version of the weapon is popular for civilian sporting use, The Dallas Morning News reports. The large retailers selling assault weapons include Dick's, Cabela's (CAB) and Wal-Mart (WMT).
Wal-Mart has stopped showing the Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine M4A3 rifle on its website as well, according to The Nation. There is no word whether Wal-Mart will stop selling the weapon at its stores, however. But Wal-Mart's site still shows that it's selling other guns at its stores, including the Sig Sauer M400.
Cabela's meanwhile, has stocked up on guns and ammunition heading into the fourth quarter -- largely a bet on surging gun sales after the presidential election. Here's what CEO Thomas Millner said in October, according to the Atlanta Business Chronicle:
"At least coming in to the fourth quarter, we’ve taken a pretty aggressive position in inventory commitment to both guns and ammunition. So that’s a starting point. Clearly, if the president’s re-elected, I would expect some surge beyond the current levels, which are really good. And if Gov. Romney is elected ... I still think we’re gonna see gun growth next year. It probably won’t be at the same pace. ... So it’s probably a difference of degrees as we sit here today, but we’re doing a lot of stuff in our stores to make sure we are the easiest, fastest place to shop for your firearms purchases."
More from Money Now
- $85 for a 6-pack? Beer fans shell out for rare brew
One match in South America killed more people than one gun ever did. Does anyone remember when the guy blocked the doors at a night club and sat it a fire, and hundreds dies a horrible death. You want to know how I know it was horrible. I was in a flash fire at work 15 years ago. I ended up with 2nd and third degree burns 65% percent of my body. What do you think the screams were like that night some died quick ,some I guarantee died slow and horrible death, Can you imagine the horror on their faces as they saw the fire and found out all doors were blocked. What happened to the ideas the last time had a real assault on our Second Amendment, do you remember? They were going to put guards in our school and metal detectors .That has to be at least ten years ago. What happened to those great ideas? Ohhhh, it’s cheaper to shut down a multibillion dollar industry in a country that has no jobs for its citizens now then increase security, create jobs. Liberal are so stupid. Good job media wait until the government start to censor what they want the people to see on the news or newspapers. Who are you going to cry to then?
Would you support assault weapon ownership if you were burying your murdered baby today?
Not to diminish the tragedy of the events in CT, but we have over 300 million people in this country, and for the sake of one twisted individual and his questionably irresponsible mother, I can't understand why the populace actually thinks that new laws are good idea. Can someone please explain, adding all the mass shootings in the last 20 years, how those 2 dozen or so culprits should cause the type of blowback as to impinge on the existing rights of 300 million other people?
More people die from the negligence of others on the road due to cell phone use. Since there is a such a higher percentage of people who cause accidents in such a way as compared to these high volume homicides, should we also ban cell phone use in cars for ALL people? Because as some of you say...if ONE life could have been saved you're all for it...right?
The modern sporting rifle, based on the AR-15 platform, is
widely misunderstood. Why? Confusion exists because though these rifles may cosmetically look like military rifles, they do not function the same way. Also, groups wanting to ban these rifles have for years purposely or through ignorance spread misinformation about them to aid their cause.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation asks you to be an informed gun owner and to use the following facts to correct misconceptions about these rifles. Remember, that if AR-
15-style modern sporting rifles are banned, your favorite traditional-looking hunting or target shooting semi-auto- matic firearm could be banned, too.
#8112 2.5M GMP
MODERN SPORTING RIFLE FACTS
• AR-15-platform rifles are among the most popular firearms being sold. They are today’s modern sporting rifle.
• The AR in "AR-15" rifle stands for Armalite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. "AR" does NOT stand for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."
• AR-15-style rifles are NOT "assault weapons" or "assault rifles." An assault rifle is fully automatic—a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.
• If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an "assault weapon," he or she either supports banning these firearms or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both. Please correct them. "Assault weapon" is a political term created by California anti-gun legislators to ban some semi-automatic rifles there in the 1980s.
• AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi- automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.
• Versions of modern sporting rifles are legal to own in all 50 states, provided the purchaser passes the mandatory FBI background check required for all retail firearm purchasers.
• Since the 19th century, civilian sporting rifles have evolved from their military predeces- sors. The modern sporting rifle simply follows that tradition.
• These rifles’ accuracy, reliability, ruggedness and versatility serve target shooters and hunters well. They are true all-weather firearms.
• Chamberings include .22, .223 (5.56 x 45mm), 6.8 SPC, .308, .450 Bushmaster and about a dozen others. Upper receivers for pistol calibers such as 9 mm, .40 and .45 are available. There are even .410 shotgun versions.
• These rifles are used for many different types of hunting, from varmint to big game. And they’re used for target shooting in the national matches.
• AR-15-style rifles are no more powerful than other hunting rifles of the same caliber and in most cases are chambered in calibers less powerful than common big-game hunting cartridges like the 30-06 Springfield and .300 Win. Mag.
• The AR-15 platform is modular. Owners like being able to affix different "uppers" (the barrel and chamber) to the "lower" (the grip, stock).
• And, they are a lot of fun to shoot!
I served in combat in the military, now someone wants to question my ability to handle a firearm safely. They want to remove my rights to bear arms. Not going to happen on my watch. The day they disarm the country, is the day I will stand ground unwavered, The \Constitution of The United StatesOf America will be protected at all cost.
Bet Obama doesn't send his kids to school without 2 big bodyguards with High Capacity Guns... Bet Bubble Butt MOO SCHELE gets 2 big lugs with guns too… But he is a liberal so his kids and wife are more important than yours... I am sick of these privileged dicks telling us plebeians how to live
If guns are so bad... DISARM YOUR BODYGUARDS... OBAMA... Lead by Example rather then pontificate
OBAMA LEAD BY EXAMPLE... You give up your armed bodyguards with HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES, your rolling SUV TANK CARS... your sophisticated protection systems... Same thing HARRY REID, CHUCKY SCHUMER, DIANE FEINSTIEN... Your all such 2 faced BAFOONS... USE THE CRAPPY medical system you want for us, the pop guns you want the masses to have...
LEAD BY EXAMPLE or just why not shut your collective pieholes... Show us TRICKLEDOWN LEADERSHIP!
You liberals have more dead children on your hands with this wholesale abortion... You grow up... Show that human life has meaning... Your LIBERAL LANZA SHOOTER was not an NRA member he was a Liberal Communist Socialist...
Liberal Utopianism is a stupid pot induced dream... We can't stop coke from getting in the country, we can’t stop illegals either, the need for high capacity weapons will just flow from the drug and newly formed gun cartels... great plan... One more dumb liberal platitude
*** Please Read ***
One way to resolve this issue is to do the following.
If you are for gun control and like walmart and dicks removing the gun, then by all means do you’re shopping there.
If you’re against gun control and do not like walmart and dicks removing the guns, then do not shop at walmart or dicks for any reason, especial for Christmas and if you have already picked up some gifts there then take them back and buy it at another store.
If you want to make a statement, money talks and bulls*** walks. Losing money hurts a lot more than just saying you like what they’re doing or not.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
[BRIEFING.COM] The stock market began the last week of July on a quiet note with the S&P 500 ending less than a point above its flat line. Like the benchmark index, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+0.1%) also posted a slim gain, while the Russell 2000 (-0.5%) and Nasdaq Composite (-0.1%) lagged throughout the session.
The major averages were awakened from their weekend slumber with an opening retreat that pressured the S&P 500 below its 20-day moving average (1975). Even though ... More
More Market News
'We're not exactly in a uniformly strong market,' says the notably pessimistic newsletter publisher.
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'