Retailers start to pull some rifles from shelves
Dick's Sporting Goods and Wal-Mart suspend some gun sales after last week's shooting in Connecticut.
Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) has suspended sales of its modern rifles nationwide. It's also taken all of the guns off the shelves at its store near Newtown, Conn., where a 20-year-old gunman opened fire at an elementary school last week, killing 20 children and six educators.
The company said it took those actions out of respect for the victims and their families in this time of national mourning.
The gunman, Adam Lanza, used one of the Bushmaster AR-15 guns in his deadly rampage. A semi-automatic version of the weapon is popular for civilian sporting use, The Dallas Morning News reports. The large retailers selling assault weapons include Dick's, Cabela's (CAB) and Wal-Mart (WMT).
Wal-Mart has stopped showing the Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine M4A3 rifle on its website as well, according to The Nation. There is no word whether Wal-Mart will stop selling the weapon at its stores, however. But Wal-Mart's site still shows that it's selling other guns at its stores, including the Sig Sauer M400.
Cabela's meanwhile, has stocked up on guns and ammunition heading into the fourth quarter -- largely a bet on surging gun sales after the presidential election. Here's what CEO Thomas Millner said in October, according to the Atlanta Business Chronicle:
"At least coming in to the fourth quarter, we’ve taken a pretty aggressive position in inventory commitment to both guns and ammunition. So that’s a starting point. Clearly, if the president’s re-elected, I would expect some surge beyond the current levels, which are really good. And if Gov. Romney is elected ... I still think we’re gonna see gun growth next year. It probably won’t be at the same pace. ... So it’s probably a difference of degrees as we sit here today, but we’re doing a lot of stuff in our stores to make sure we are the easiest, fastest place to shop for your firearms purchases."
More from Money Now
- $85 for a 6-pack? Beer fans shell out for rare brew
Please Vist My Facebook Page Titled "From My Cold Dead Hands"()Please Like my page and leave comments,We must all stick together and protect the second amendment. As usual the liberals are trying to push there anti-gun agenda by taking advantage of a treagedy,This is the same tired old story,Blame the gun not the mentally sick individual who commited the crime.We know this is not the fault of the gun. This is the fault of mentally deranged individuals.As usual their answer is to disarm us all so know one will be able to defend them selves. This can not be allowed to happen! It used to be that the government worked for the people,Now the people work for the government. We can`t own anything that isn`t subject to government seizure,For what ever reason. We must make a stand! We must tell our politicians who were so intent on shoving health care down our throats to work on the checks and ballances of the mental health system,Instead of taking what little liberty we have left.
First off: these stores did not remove the guns because the are done selling them forever or making a political stance. Read the article. "The company said it took those actions out of respect for the victims and their families in this time of national mourning.". So quit throwing Wal-Mart and dicks under the bus for being respectful to the families.
Second: Obama and other politicians that are using this tragedy to further their political agendas make me sick. It should be a time of quiet for the town and affected individuals, not a time to blow up the media to get what you want.
Finally: I own a few guns of different types and know a LOT of people who own guns and use them for hunting, target practice, and home security. Guns give me the ability to protect myself from someone who wants to do harm to me of my family. If someone tries to break into my home with a weapon and the intention to harm me or my family I can protect myself. Removing guns from law abiding citizens just makes good, law abiding citizens victims of preventable crimes. It is too late to remove the threat of guns so preventing good people from getting them is a ignorant idea.
Its been confirmed Lanza only had Semi Auto Pistols on him ... No rifles.. the rifles were still in the trunk of his car...
Obama has a full compliment of body guards with fully automatic weapons. When is he going to order them to give them up???
"Cabela's meanwhile, has stocked up on guns and ammunition heading into the fourth quarter"
Excellent! Now I will do all my shopping at Cabela's and avoid Penis' Sporting Goods.
What is tomorrow? Dec. 21/12.... we all be gone by night fall. and gun won't matter, nor will the price of gas, or Bama care or tax's,
OMG, what is this world coming too...THE END? See you on the other side...... Ha,Haa
Just the facts here:
Search on YouTube:
Innocents Betrayed - The True Story of Gun Control WorldWide.
I know there is a problem, but this video can not be denied.
Why do you nuts think Gun control is banning your personal gun that you keep under your bed for protection?...I mean I wouldn't have one but gun control is banning guns that make it easy for people to kill multiple people at a time...why do you not comprehend this? no one is going to take your rifle away so you can play in the woods and shoot bunny rabbits or the one you have under your pillow...Geesh we need some common sense when someone can have multiple guns and stockpiles of weapons WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The modern sporting rifle, based on the AR-15 platform, is
widely misunderstood. Why? Confusion exists because though these rifles may cosmetically look like military rifles, they do not function the same way. Also, groups wanting to ban these rifles have for years purposely or through ignorance spread misinformation about them to aid their cause.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation asks you to be an informed gun owner and to use the following facts to correct misconceptions about these rifles. Remember, that if AR-
15-style modern sporting rifles are banned, your favorite traditional-looking hunting or target shooting semi-auto- matic firearm could be banned, too.
#8112 2.5M GMP
MODERN SPORTING RIFLE FACTS
• AR-15-platform rifles are among the most popular firearms being sold. They are today’s modern sporting rifle.
• The AR in "AR-15" rifle stands for Armalite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. "AR" does NOT stand for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."
• AR-15-style rifles are NOT "assault weapons" or "assault rifles." An assault rifle is fully automatic—a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.
• If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an "assault weapon," he or she either supports banning these firearms or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both. Please correct them. "Assault weapon" is a political term created by California anti-gun legislators to ban some semi-automatic rifles there in the 1980s.
• AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi- automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.
• Versions of modern sporting rifles are legal to own in all 50 states, provided the purchaser passes the mandatory FBI background check required for all retail firearm purchasers.
• Since the 19th century, civilian sporting rifles have evolved from their military predeces- sors. The modern sporting rifle simply follows that tradition.
• These rifles’ accuracy, reliability, ruggedness and versatility serve target shooters and hunters well. They are true all-weather firearms.
• Chamberings include .22, .223 (5.56 x 45mm), 6.8 SPC, .308, .450 Bushmaster and about a dozen others. Upper receivers for pistol calibers such as 9 mm, .40 and .45 are available. There are even .410 shotgun versions.
• These rifles are used for many different types of hunting, from varmint to big game. And they’re used for target shooting in the national matches.
• AR-15-style rifles are no more powerful than other hunting rifles of the same caliber and in most cases are chambered in calibers less powerful than common big-game hunting cartridges like the 30-06 Springfield and .300 Win. Mag.
• The AR-15 platform is modular. Owners like being able to affix different "uppers" (the barrel and chamber) to the "lower" (the grip, stock).
• And, they are a lot of fun to shoot!
• More facts are available at
What about Video War games,Video Games with full of Killings etc.
That its normal to sell to kids and after few years people is surprised why some sick kid killing innocent people?
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE and AMEX. See delay times for other exchanges.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Thomson Reuters (click for restrictions). Real-time quotes provided by BATS Exchange. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Interactive Data Real-Time Services. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by SIX Financial Information.
More than 8,000 households got hit with the one-time levy as Socialist President Francois Hollande continues to target the nation's wealthiest.
- Farmers cultivate drones as new high-tech tool
- Apple's overseas hoard unfair to taxpayers
- Why hugely profitable ESPN is laying off workers
- Tornado shelters become a vital business
- Victoria's Secret won't sell cancer 'survivor' bras
- DC is doing nothing to fix the economy
- Models have it easier getting into US than engineers
- Bernie Madoff earns sweatshop wages in prison
- Motor home sales rise in hopeful economic sign
[BRIEFING.COM] Stocks ended modestly higher as the S&P 500 climbed 0.2%, and the Dow added 0.4% to register its 19th consecutive Tuesday of gains.
The major averages saw little change during morning action, but afternoon buying interest helped lift the indices to session highs. Most cyclical sectors (with the exception of materials and technology) finished among the leaders, but the defensively-geared health care sector settled atop the leaderboard as biotechnology outperformed. ... More
More Market News
As the stock market reaches new highs, Goldman Sachs sees more gains ahead. Fueling the market: An improving economy, growing dividends and low interest rates.