Why McDonald's is serving late-night breakfast
Fast-food giants are eager to grab the after-hours crowd. But are Egg McMuffins what nocturnal diners crave?
The menu is being rolled out at an unspecified number of McDonald's 24-hour restaurants, The Associated Press reports. So what do people want between midnight and 4 a.m.? Dinner or breakfast? McDonald's says it will offer a little bit of both.
The menu is limited -- not everything will be available at that time -- but customers can get Big Macs, McNuggets and dessert. And in a new twist, they can now get Egg McMuffins and pancakes as well.
Why the push after midnight? Because McDonald's, like so many rivals, sees the late-night crowd as key to growing sales and profit. It wants to be the place people head to after the nightclubs close. It wants to grab tired workers on the way home from swing shifts.
Up to now, many fast-food restaurants have been content to leave the late-night diners to the likes of Denny's (DENN). Taco Bell, owned by Yum Brands (YUM), has targeted this crowd for years with its FourthMeal campaign, referring to the meal between dinner and breakfast. Now McDonald's and other rivals are taking notice.
- Monsanto claims GMO wheat may be sabotage
- Brazil scraps 'happy prostitute' ad campaign
- New England getting first US offshore wind farm
Mc Donalds sale's slumping? Disneyland raising park entry rate's? What is the world coming too?
Yes, that is what "we" want, possible drunk people driving to McD's to pick-up food so they will be; drunk, trying to eat their food, and maybe texting or talking on their phones. Just a thought.
Anyway, at that time we went to a restaurant I vote for Denny's and Waffle House. Oh-yeah, have a designated driver.
I agree. Give me a good Waffle House sit down and eat breakfast anytime.
"If" McD did made to order... the concept may not be a bad idea.. However the way they are set up now, the food may have prepared "hours" earlier and not sold right away and kept in a warmer.
I only eat McD food when I know there is peak patron volume , to assure the freshest untainted food.'
I have never gotten the trots, Hershey squirts, revenge of Montezuma from eating at waffle house.
I can't the same after eating McD during a non peak food rush.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
- A stronger dollar index weighted on the commodities space today.
- Dec gold and Dec silver fell deeper into negative territory, trading as low as $1263.10 per ounce and $19.11 per ounce, respectively.
- Unable to gain momentum, both metals settled with 1.7% losses, with gold closing at $1264.90 per ounce and silver closing at $19.16 per ounce.
- Oct crude oil fell below the $93 per barrel level. It trended lower after pulling back from a session ... More
More Market News
The NBA star could receive as much as $300 million in the 10-year deal, according to reports.
MUST-SEE ON MSN
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'