Are Black Friday rebates worth the hassle?
Sometimes they aren't, but some of this year's offers are worth the extra effort.
Read the small print on Black Friday offers for 2013 and you'll find that some of the low prices reflect mail-in rebates (MIRs). The rebate process can be a bit of a pain, and too many consumers seduced by the potential savings never realize the lower price. One widely cited academic study from 2003 reported that shoppers never got around to redeeming about six in 10 consumer electronics rebates. An industry consultant quoted in The Wall Street Journal in 2006 put the number for all rebates at 4 in 10. Regardless whether those redemption rates hold true today, they call into question the value of a Black Friday offer that hinges on a mail-in rebate.
- Check the expiration date on the rebate form and mail everything on time. Perhaps plan to set aside time during the weekend after Black Friday to fill out and mail the required documents.
- Make copies or take pictures of all the forms you are sending so you can reference them if there are any complications down the line.
- You also may want to mail the forms with some sort of delivery confirmation so you have proof that the company received them.
- With some rebates taking months to arrive, you may forget about them altogether. Make a note on your calendar and contact the manufacturer if you haven't received a rebate by the appointed time.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'