Free doughnuts for National Doughnut Day
Whether you spell it doughnut or donut, they're being celebrated, and you can score one for free on June 6.
This post comes from Krystal Steinmetz at partner site Money Talks News.
Doughnut lovers, rejoice! June 6 is the most wonderful day of the year -- a holey holiday, if you will.
It's National Doughnut Day (or Donut Day), which falls on the first Friday of June each year.
Whether you like them jelly-filled, powdered or glazed, you now have a good excuse (if you needed one) to enjoy the sweet treats.
National Doughnut Day isn't a ploy by doughnut shops to get you in their doors. Its roots date back to World War I, when hundreds of Salvation Army officers, aiming to comfort U.S. troops serving in Europe, cooked and served doughnuts to the soldiers, USA Today says.
The first National Doughnut Day was celebrated in 1938.
- Krispy Kreme. You can select one doughnut (any variety) at Krispy Kreme for free, no purchase necessary.
- Dunkin' Donuts. Enjoy a free doughnut with the purchase of any beverage.
- Thorntons. You can get a free doughnut at Thorntons through June 9 by using a coupon available on Thorntons' mobile app.
- Tim Hortons. Make an in-store purchase on Friday, and take home a free doughnut. Customers must say "Happy National Doughnut Day" to receive their doughnut.
- Winn-Dixie. Stores in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Florida and Mississippi are handing out free "jumbo" doughnut holes on Doughnut Day.
- Cumberland Farms. If you buy a coffee or ChillZone beverage, Cumberland Farms will hand over a free doughnut.
Check out your local doughnut shop for special promotions.
If one free doughnut is not enough, click here for a chance to win an entire year of free doughnuts from Entenmann's. Additionally, if you "like" their Facebook page by June 15, they will donate $1 to the Salvation Army.
More from Money Talks News
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Occupy Wall Street bought and forgave the student loan debt of more than 2,700 Everest College students.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'