Many retailers change return policies for the holidays
Do your favorite stores change their return policies for the holiday season? Some do, so you may want to check before you buy.
This post comes from Allison Martin at partner site Money Talks News.
In fact, a recent survey by RetailMeNot indicates that 42 percent of consumers return some of the gifts they receive for the holidays.
This statistic warrants an understanding of the return policies of popular retailers -- made complicated by the fact that many popular stores change their policies for the holiday season, some for better and some for worse.
"According to the National Retail Federation, 28 percent of stores surveyed change their return policies for the holidays, while 72% keep them the same," says Consumer World.
Consumer World highlighted some of the most generous holiday return policies.
- Best Buy has a holiday return deadline of Jan. 15 for items purchased after Nov. 2.
- Toys R Us customers have until Jan. 25 to return most items purchased during the holiday season with the exception of electronics, which must be returned by Jan. 9.
- Amazon has a deadline of Jan. 31 for most items shipped Nov. 1 through Dec. 31.
- The 30-day return period for electronics at Target begins Dec. 26 for purchases made since Nov. 1.
- Some stores, like Kohl's, have no deadline.
It's always better to be safe than sorry, so be sure to check your retailer's website to learn about any changes it may have implemented for the holiday season. Don't let your recipient be stuck with an unwanted gift.
What do you think about the return policy changes retailers make for the holidays?
More on Money Talks News:
.....interesting - the store with the best profits and business models are liberal on their returns.....
Kohl's leads the pack with no return restrictions. This way, when you shop there - you know you have zero hassels if you need to return.
Likewise - Best Buy is very restrictive on returns. One of the reasons, I never shop there.
If you have a receipt and the merchandise is in perfect condtion....the store should always return it.
I got the refund!
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
If you're one of the millions of sleep-deprived Americans, here's how to find cheap sleep without pills.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'