Ordering Mother's Day flowers? Read this first
Consumer Reports compares 1 (800) Flowers.com and FTD.com to see who comes out on top.
This post comes from Krystal Steinmetz at partner site Money Talks News.
Flowers are a beautiful and popular way to show love and appreciation for Mom. But when it comes to ordering flowers online, is what you see what Mom will get?
Consumer Reports compared eight similarly priced floral arrangements from two of the biggest online flower delivery services -- 1-800-Flowers.com and FTD.com.
The survey process looked something like this: Consumer Reports took pictures of the arrangements and then had 112 people rate them on how happy they'd be to receive them. The participants were polled a second time, comparing the actual arrangements with the photos used on the website.
So, how did the flowers rate? According to Consumer Reports:
Overall, our respondents were pretty happy with all of the arrangements until they compared them with their online photos. Then they were very disappointed with the fact that there were flower substitutions in the mixed bouquets and that none of the arrangements looked as nice as the online photos.
So, in that case, you're probably in luck. It's doubtful that your mom is going to compare her flowers with the online pictures.
Also noted by Consumer Reports:
- Delivery guarantee and cancellations. 1-800-Flowers-com allows orders to be canceled until they're en route. The company said it can't guarantee delivery on major holidays, like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and Christmas, but it can guarantee delivery during that week. Regarding FTD.com, Consumer Reports said, "During heavy traffic times (such as Mother's Day and Valentine's Day) cancellations may have to be requested within 24 hours of placing an order."
- Survey results. 1-800-Flowers was the winner for both the participants' favorite arrangement and least favorite flowers. But overall, respondents were more satisfied with FTD, even though its arrangements were smaller than expected.
I usually receive flowers for Mother's Day. But instead of a floral arrangement, my husband usually picks out a hanging petunia basket that I can enjoy on our patio all summer long.
What are you planning on getting your mom for Mother's Day?
More from Money Talks News
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
A Fidelity study found that adult kids and their folks aren't on the same page when it comes to discussing finances.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'