Save holiday cash on Free Shipping Day 2013
For those who still have some names to cross off their holiday shopping list (and who doesn't?), free shipping from online retailers on Wednesday can be a great way to save money.
This post comes from Elyssa Kirkham at partner site GoBankingRates.com.
On Wednesday, Dec. 18, retailers participating in Free Shipping Day will waive the shipping fee for all orders placed that day. There is no minimum order amount to earn free shipping, and delivery by Dec. 24 is guaranteed.
Wednesday will mark the five-year anniversary of the first Free Shipping Day, founded by entrepreneur Luke Knowles in 2007. According to the official site, Knowles started the day as a way for shoppers to get free shipping and a guaranteed delivery date without having to order weeks before the holidays.
This may be the last time shoppers will have such a guarantee with free shipping, and it's a great way to buy gifts online and receive them in time for Christmas without paying high prices for express or overnight shipping.
Where to shop on Free Shipping Day 2013
More than 800 merchants are participating in Free Shipping Day 2013. The full list on online retailers can be found at FreeShippingDay.com starting at 12:01 a.m. EST on Dec. 18. Here are the standouts:
- Department stores: Belk, Nordstrom, JCPenney, Younkers, Neiman Marcus, Bergners, Shopko, Stein Mart
- Apparel: Guess, Express, Kenneth Cole, BlueFly, Sahalie, Brooklyn Industries, Levi's, Torrid, Tommy Hilfiger, Lacoste
- Shoes and accessories: Vera Bradley, Fossil, Zappos.com, Sanuk
- Healthy and beauty: Elizabeth Arden, The Body Shop
- Sporting foods: Bass Pro Shops, REI, Cabela's, Eddie Bauer, Easton Sports, MLBShop
- Electronics: RadioShack, Sony Store, Griffin Technology, Samsung, NovaTech Electronics, Olympus
- Entertainment: ShopPBS, TimeLife.com, Magazines.com
- Gifts: Harry & David, Wine.com, Mrs. Fields, Omaha Steaks, ProFlowers, 1-800-Flowers
How to save on shipping year-round
Savvy online shoppers don't have to wait for Free Shipping Day to save money, however. Jon Lal, couponing/smart shopping expert and founder of cash back rewards site BeFrugal.com provided us several tips for cutting the cost of shipping online purchases any day of the year:
- Look for an order threshold amount where if you spend above that figure, you can get free shipping.
- Some stores let you purchase from a few sites within a “family of brands” for a combined total above the minimum amount to get free shipping (for example, you can do this at Drugstore.com and Beauty.com with a $35 amount or on Gap.com, OldNavy.com and BananaRepublic.com at the $50 amount among all 3 brands).
- Watch for special free shipping offers when you buy certain items. If you’re deciding between a few things, let free shipping be the tie breaker (if all else – price, quality – is equal).
- Use coupon codes for free shipping. These are available online and by social media as well as e-mail newsletters. For instance, BeFrugal’s online coupons are guaranteed to work or you’ll get $5. A team of people in the Boston office verifies each one before adding them to the website.
- New customers are sometimes offered free shipping. Look for these special offers. It may require a coupon code, signing up for the store’s newsletter or becoming a free member of the site.
- Memberships like Amazon Prime and Shop Runner can give you free shipping, but there may be membership fees associated with them. It’s important to weigh the potential savings by doing the math.
Maintaining a savings account can be difficult during the holiday season, so taking advantage of money-saving opportunities like Free Shipping Day is a great way to ensure your budget remains in the black through Jan. 1.
More from GoBankingRates.com:
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Tired of your wallet taking a beating at the grocery store? Here are some creative ways to save big on food costs.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'