Which cellphone carrier has the lowest extra fees?
Despite varying policies and service charges the 4 major US carriers, a single carrier came out ahead. Here's how they stacked up.
In some localities, charges such as a federal Universal Service Fund contribution (up to 15.6%) and additional taxes from state and local governments add more than 20% to wireless bills.
Fortunately there are ways to alleviate other extra fees -- whether it's $36 to activate a new line of service, $15 for going over a data cap, or $1.99 for 411 -- without packing up and moving to another state.
T-Mobile and AT&T customers with unlocked phones can also avoid international roaming charges altogether by finding a provider overseas and swapping a U.S. SIM card for a local one with local rates.
Verizon and Sprint use CDMA technology instead of the GSM standard popular overseas, so their customers can't do this unless they rent a phone from the carrier or have one of the new global smartphones that work on both networks.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Nearly half of family caregivers spend more than $5,000 a year, plus caregiving affects their jobs and retirement plans.
- America's most counterfeited products
- Driver survey: Men irked by phone talkers, women by lane cutters
- 5 reasons to take the company buyout (and 5 not to)
- Tired of Fed-watching, saver? Check out these banks instead
- New software targets credit card thieves at gas pumps
- Thinking of holiday shopping? Do a reality check first
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'