Winter storm? You need these 25 things in your car
That recent ice storm in the South stranded many in their cars for long hours, illustrating the need to have a car emergency kit.
This post comes from Nancy Dunham at partner site Money Talks News.
That recent ice storm in the South wreaked havoc on traffic, stranding countless Atlanta motorists in their cars for many hours, even overnight.
Mariano Castillo, a CNN editor, recounted on CNN's website:
I have given up my stubborn plan to make it home and have a cup of hot cocoa no matter the time. I found a 24-hour Taco Bell, spent my last $5 on a quesadilla and am closing my eyes in my trusty RAV4. I wonder what I will awake to.
His was one of many frightening stories in the CNN report. In a way, Castillo was lucky because his car was not disabled and he was able to park off the highway. Also, there wasn't a child or a physically impaired person in the vehicle.
The bottom line: As the winter weather continues to howl, consider rejuvenating your auto's emergency kit.
The supplies will at least make you more comfortable if you're stranded, and could save your life.
- Shovel, snow scraper and small broom.
- Flashlight with extra batteries (make sure batteries are fresh!).
- Battery-powered radio.
- Raisins and mini candy bars.
- Extra hats, socks, mittens.
- First aid kit with pocket knife.
- Necessary medications.
- Hand-warming packets.
- Blankets or sleeping bag.
- Tow chain or rope.
- Road salt, sand, or cat litter for traction.
- Jumper cables.
- Emergency flares and reflectors.
- Fluorescent distress flag and whistle to attract attention.
- Cellphone adapter.
- Rags or paper towels.
- Tire chains.
Were you stranded in traffic during that recent ice storm?
More on Money Talks News:
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'