Weirdest college scholarships
Are you tall, good at duck calling or have a certain last name? There may be money for you.
Blogger Ramit Sethi likes to point out that college scholarship money can be found if you’ll just look for it. He’s right. You can find it from some unexpected or unheard-of sources.
Skeptical? Check out “45 of the weirdest college scholarships” at Zen College Life (and thanks to J. Money at Budgets are Sexy for the link.) If you’re tall, love hunting, or are a left-handed student at a certain college in the commonwealth known as PA, you can apply for free money for school.
- Bing: Can you afford college?
Here are some examples from the list of 45, starting with the wackiest one on the list (and our personal favorite):
- The Kor Memorial Scholarship is awarded by the Klingon Language Institute to students who are pursuing language studies. No Klingon required, but if you want to impress, we have an old cassette tape we can lend you.
- There are also Starfleet Academy scholarships. A George Takei International Studies Scholarship, anyone?
- Are you particularly tall? Tall Clubs International sponsors a scholarship competition for men who are 6 foot 2 inches or more, and women who stand at least 5 foot 10.
- The Chick and Sophie Major Memorial Duck Calling Contest awards scholarships to winners of a duck-calling contest in Stuttgart, Ark., including $2,000 for first place.
- Left-handed? Good. You’ve met one of three conditions set by the Frederick and Mary F. Beckley Scholarship, awarded to upperclassmen at Juniata College in Pennsylvania. Financial need and good grades are the other two.
- You may also find scholarship money if you have an interest in entomology, mycology, vacuum coating, or welding.
Read the rest of the list of scholarships. And do you know of any others from strange or unlikely sources?
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's complaint database highlights the worst problems people have with collectors.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'