25 frugal things I do
Plus 4 secret spendthrift confessions.
From time to time, I take inventory of my frugal habits. This review helps fine-tune my money-saving strategies.
Here is my latest list of 25 frugal things I do, plus a few spendthrift habits. It's a tradition I've picked up from my friend Dawn at Frugal for Life.
- Use mascara, coffee and tea to color my hair.
- Use organic apple cider vinegar as a natural conditioner; clean my kitchen with white vinegar.
- Avoid ordering drinks or beverages in restaurants.
- Bring my own snacks, water and food to theme parks.
- Installed a filter on the kitchen faucet. Filtered water costs pennies per gallon in my home.
- Use the free gym at work and canceled my membership at a chic gym in South Beach.
- Walk to stores, the post office and other nearby errand stops.
- Purchased a discounted monthly transit pass for the bus and train.
- Read receipts to find store errors or free coupons on the receipt.
- Use olive oil, oranges and tomatoes to condition my skin and hair instead of traditional personal-care products.
- Bing: Extreme frugal tips
- Style, braid and cut my own hair.
- Often stay with friends and relatives while on vacation.
- My shopping lists are based on weekly sale promotions and coupons.
- Rejoined an organic food co-op to get super cheap prices for organic, in-season produce.
- Make clothing and shoe repairs and other wardrobe fixes with magic markers, staples and tape.
- Stock up on generic or private-label products, especially when those items are on sale.
- Recycle cards, gift bags and wrapping paper.
- Use diluted dish soap to wash off fruit.
- Watch Internet television after cutting the cable TV cord.
- Cut back on makeup and skincare products (fewer chemicals, lower expenses).
- Purchase 99% of my shoes, clothing and accessories at end-of-season sales.
- Borrow books, magazines and movies from friends.
- Save the bits of soap and small conditioner containers we use in hotel rooms.
- Drink the free coffee at work.
- Try to avoid shops and malls as much as possible.
4 secret spendthrift confessions
- I love to eat out.
- Disorganization costs: Late fees -- for videos and bills -- occasionally eat into my budget.
- A local company offers discounted massage therapy services, and I take advantage of this perk as much as possible.
- I don’t know how many pairs of shoes are in my closet.
Related reading at Wise Bread:
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Redrawn lines between full- and part-timers at Sodexo decide who is eligible for coverage.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'