Can you watch 5 Oscar films in a day?
Cinemas offer movie marathon deals, and we give you tips for throwing an Oscar party on the cheap.
Did you miss some of the Oscar-nominated films? Here’s your chance to see a discount movie marathon.
Both AMC Entertainment and Cinemark are offering marathons of Oscar-nominated films Saturday, March 6. Once you've seen the films, you can throw an Oscar-watching party on the cheap.
AMC’s Best Picture Showcase will feature five films for $30 ($25 for MovieWatcher members), starting at 10:30 a.m. Saturday. In some theaters, films will be “Up” (in 2D), “A Serious Man,” “The Hurt Locker,” “An Education” and “District 9,” shown in that order. In other theaters, the schedule will be “An Education,” “The Hurt Locker,” “Up in the Air,” “The Blind Side” and “Inglourious Basterds.”
AMC reminds you that you can’t bring your own snacks, but the deal includes a free large popcorn with unlimited refills.
- Bing: Who will win the Oscars?
At a few AMC theaters in New York City, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., and Toronto., viewers can see a 24-hour marathon of all 10 Oscar Best Picture nominees for $45, with unlimited popcorn.
Cinemark and Century theaters' Best Picture & Best Director Showcase will feature the five films nominated in both categories for $25. The movies start at noon and will be "Precious," "Inglourious Basterds," "The Hurt Locker," "Avatar" (2D) and "Up in the Air." It looks as if you’ll have to buy your own popcorn.
- Video: Coke vs. Pepsi
Oscar Night is a great time to get together with friends. All you need are a television and a few snacks. Cinemark has a chart you can download to follow the awards.
Here are a few tips to keep the party affordable:
- Ask the guests to bring food or drinks.
- Order pizza with online deals and coupons. Cut the pizza into appetizer-size pieces to serve more people.
- Make up a big pot of spaghetti, chili, soup or other inexpensive dish that will feed a crowd.
- Cut up your own vegetables and cheese instead of buying the trays from the supermarket.
- Use real dishes and flatware instead of plastic. Not only is it classier and better for the environment, it’s cheaper.
- If you don’t want to feed your guests a full meal, make sure they know they should eat dinner before they come. Then just provide popcorn.
- Skip the decorations. Everyone is going to be looking at the TV anyway.
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
An annual cap on flexible spending accounts is increasing medical costs.