A fruity way to be frugal
Shining your shoes with a banana peel is just one of the low-cost tricks you can learn.
This video at Lifehacker shows how you can make your shoes shine with a peel. Apparently, the potassium contained in this "yellow crescent of unparalleled beauty" is the main ingredient in shoe polish. The steps are easy:
- Peel the banana.
- Eat the fruit and save the skin.
- Rub the inner lining of the skin on your shoes.
- Buff with a soft cloth.
- You're done.
Some of our favorite Lifehacker posts include:
- Avoid looking like a tourist
- Learn how to throw a knife
- Make a lost screw finder from a blank media spindle
- Mix your own liquid Tamiflu for kids
- Web site Theme Park Maps lets you plan your attack before you get there
- Build a "Beeping Thing" to prank co-workers
- How to build a DIY dorm-legal A/C
- Use a candle to keep doors and windows from sticking
- The first-timer's guide to building a computer from scratch
- Make your own homemade butter
Have you tried any of these ideas? Do you have a favorite do-it-yourself Web site? We'd love to hear about them.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Moving to a foreign land for your golden years may sound expensive, but it isn't always.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'