Can't find a job? Maybe it's time to pack your bags
You'll need something many jobless folks lack: A lot of cash.
- Continue to look for a work, competing with hundreds of folks in similar situations for each opening.
- Go back to school and find a new career with the hope you'll find a gig after you're retrained.
- Relocate to a part of the country where jobs aren't scarce.
There are two ways you can go about the move:
- You can find a new job online, travel for your interview and move after accepting an offer.
- You can take your chances and move to an area with a better job market in the hope that you'll find work after the move.
"Moving to a new city without a job can be downright terrifying: You don't have a regular income stream, and you won't have as many friends or family nearby," Frugal Dad warns.
If you're lucky, you'll have friends and family members that can lend a hand as you get to know the city, explore the job market and find a place to live (or a couch to sleep on). If you're moving to an area where you have no connections, several of Frugal Dad's suggestions can be boiled down to this: Get out of the house and meet people.
- Video: The world's best cities
Thinking about taking the plunge? You should check out the "Best cities for riding out the recession." And if you're on the fence, remember that moving expenses will likely be tax deductible.
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Which store penalizes you for too many returns? And which one will let you retroactively apply coupons?