How to waste money like a movie star
Who needs a $276,000 dinosaur skull? Apparently, budget-impaired Nicolas Cage did.
The actor, whose films have grossed more than $3.9 billion worldwide, is in financial ruin. He owes $6 million in back taxes, is suing his former money manager for $20 million, his mansions are in foreclosure and many of his belongings are on the auction block (anyone want to buy a shrunken head?).
lessons can be gleaned from Cage's free-spending ways? How about:
- Live within your means. Even multimillionaires need to budget and set spending limits.
- Choose a financial adviser carefully. Cage says his led him down a path of "financial ruin."
- Bidding wars often end in Pyrrhic victories. Sure, you won a $276,000 dinosaur skull, now where do you store it?
- Don't buy more car than you can afford. Or for that matter more cars -- who really needs 50? At least he bought that $495,000 Lamborghini used.
- The Tax Man will get you in the end. The more you make, the bigger the target.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Saving just a single month of expenses may take longer than you think. See how your savings rate affects how quickly you can build a solid emergency fund.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'