25 frugal things I do
Plus 4 secret spendthrift confessions.
From time to time, I take inventory of my frugal habits. This review helps fine-tune my money-saving strategies.
Here is my latest list of 25 frugal things I do, plus a few spendthrift habits. It's a tradition I've picked up from my friend Dawn at Frugal for Life.
- Use mascara, coffee and tea to color my hair.
- Use organic apple cider vinegar as a natural conditioner; clean my kitchen with white vinegar.
- Avoid ordering drinks or beverages in restaurants.
- Bring my own snacks, water and food to theme parks.
- Installed a filter on the kitchen faucet. Filtered water costs pennies per gallon in my home.
- Use the free gym at work and canceled my membership at a chic gym in South Beach.
- Walk to stores, the post office and other nearby errand stops.
- Purchased a discounted monthly transit pass for the bus and train.
- Read receipts to find store errors or free coupons on the receipt.
- Use olive oil, oranges and tomatoes to condition my skin and hair instead of traditional personal-care products.
- Bing: Extreme frugal tips
- Style, braid and cut my own hair.
- Often stay with friends and relatives while on vacation.
- My shopping lists are based on weekly sale promotions and coupons.
- Rejoined an organic food co-op to get super cheap prices for organic, in-season produce.
- Make clothing and shoe repairs and other wardrobe fixes with magic markers, staples and tape.
- Stock up on generic or private-label products, especially when those items are on sale.
- Recycle cards, gift bags and wrapping paper.
- Use diluted dish soap to wash off fruit.
- Watch Internet television after cutting the cable TV cord.
- Cut back on makeup and skincare products (fewer chemicals, lower expenses).
- Purchase 99% of my shoes, clothing and accessories at end-of-season sales.
- Borrow books, magazines and movies from friends.
- Save the bits of soap and small conditioner containers we use in hotel rooms.
- Drink the free coffee at work.
- Try to avoid shops and malls as much as possible.
4 secret spendthrift confessions
- I love to eat out.
- Disorganization costs: Late fees -- for videos and bills -- occasionally eat into my budget.
- A local company offers discounted massage therapy services, and I take advantage of this perk as much as possible.
- I don’t know how many pairs of shoes are in my closet.
Related reading at Wise Bread:
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'