Top kids’ gifts include toy hamster
Toys R Us is focused on lower-priced holiday toys
Toys R Us released its list of prospective hot toys for the holidays, and guess what: Most retail for less than $100.
The toy getting the most media attention is the Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster, which retails for a very attractive $9.99. "With more than 40 different sound effects and artificial intelligence, these pets will dart around the house, play in hamster tubes, run on wheels and more," Toys R Us said. This sounds fun.
Among those on the higher end, The Associated Press reports, are "Mattel's Mindflex, about $90, which measures brain activity through a helmet and uses it to move a ball through an obstacle course." Great. We'll bring that one out whenever anyone questions our brain power.
The list is based on consumer reaction in small markets and Toys R Us analysis, and the toys on it will be heavily promoted this season. In other words, these are the ones your kids will be bugging you about.
Other lower-cost picks on the Toys R Us "Fabulous15," as described by AP, include:
- Nerf N-Strike Raider Rapid Fire CS-35 from Hasbro. A customizable dart gun. $34.99.
- Little Mommy Baby Ah-Choo from Fisher-Price. A doll that sneezes and speaks. $34.99.
- ChixOs Pink Design-A-Luxury Loft from Spin Master. A customizable doll and playhouse set. $29.99.
- Color Me a Song from Crayola Beginnings. A kit that plays music while tots color. $24.99.
- Bakugan Battle Brawlers New Vestroia Maxus Helios 7 in 1 toy by Spin Master. A version of the popular card and morphing marble game that combines seven different marbles into one fighter. $39.99.
For your shopping convenience, Toys R Us is opening 80 "pop-up" stores in malls for the holiday season and "express" stores in Babies R Us locations.
However, the company rightly expects that people will be watching their spending. One analyst the AP quotes expects holiday toy sales to be flat or slightly down this year.
Published Sept. 24, 2009
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
A Fidelity study found that adult kids and their folks aren't on the same page when it comes to discussing finances.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'