Dump your junk and get some cash
Retailers jump on the clunker trade-in bandwagon, but will you get top dollar?
- Got an old appliance your want to replace? Buy an energy-efficient model and receive rebates ranging from $50 to $250. This federally sponsored program, similar to the Cash for Clunkers program, varies by state. More details can be found here.
- Trade in old video games at Amazon.com and Toys 'R' Us in exchange for gift cards.
- Old electronic devices can be traded in to Radio Shack, Hewlett-Packard, Amazon and Costco.
Another point to consider: If you do take the plunge and receive a gift card, you can always sell it for cash or exchange it for a card from a different retailer. Read this article to find out how.
Here are more avenues to explore:
- While it's not garage-sale season in most parts of the U.S., winter is a good time to start identifying items for a spring sale. And if you want to connect with the most shoppers, be sure to list online.
- A garage sale is a lot of work -- listing items on Craigslist is a whole lot easier, and you might be able to get more for your goods. Click here for more on how to use Craigslist effectively.
- Selling on eBay and Amazon will net a much wider audience than Craigslist (and you don't have to meet strangers in-person). Read this post for tips on how to turn your junk into "eBay gold."
- One-of-kind handmade goods can be sold on Etsy. Kelly at Almost Frugal has great tips in her post "How to market your Etsy shop."
- A low-hassle option is to simply load up your car and donate belongings to a local charity. Can you say tax deduction? Just be sure to get a receipt.
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
If your wallet is running on empty but you still have more shopping to do, we've got you covered. Here are 10 cool kid gifts that won't break the bank.