Free craft workshops for kids
Children can learn to make holiday gifts.
Ah, the idea of children making gifts for their friends and relatives for Christmas or Hanukkah. It sounds great, if they only knew how to make something. And if you’re not crafty yourself, it may be hard to teach them.
Several chain stores offer free crafts workshops for kids. Send your kids to the November and December workshops, and perhaps they can learn to make a few holiday gifts. Be sure to check with your local store in case the management has decided to deviate from the national schedule.
Some of those handmade gifts have staying power, too. I’m still using the recipe cards my little sister wrote out for me, in her child’s printing, when I left home 34 years ago.
Here are some places where your children can learn a few crafts:
- Lowe’s offers free Build and Grow Clinics for kids. This month, kids can learn to make a garage on Saturday, Nov. 7 (sorry, it won’t be big enough for your car) and a snowman on Saturday, Nov. 21. The December projects aren’t yet posted.
- Home Depot offers a free kids’ workshop from 9 a.m. to noon the first Saturday of each month. The project on Saturday, Nov. 7, is a trivet. Next month, on Dec. 5, kids can learn to build a wagon.
- Bass Pro Shops begins free kids’ holiday craft workshops Nov. 14. The first project is a Chrismoose ornaments. Workshops will be noon to 5 p.m. every Friday and Saturday through Dec. 20.
- Michael’s offers free craft workshops for kids and demonstrations for adults. Kids’ workshops will be 1-3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 8, on making yarn dolls, luggage tags and friendship bracelets; and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 5, on making holiday cards, stockings and trinket boxes.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
CareerCast has released its list of jobs that really aren't as glamorous as they seem.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'