A fruity way to be frugal
Shining your shoes with a banana peel is just one of the low-cost tricks you can learn.
This video at Lifehacker shows how you can make your shoes shine with a peel. Apparently, the potassium contained in this "yellow crescent of unparalleled beauty" is the main ingredient in shoe polish. The steps are easy:
- Peel the banana.
- Eat the fruit and save the skin.
- Rub the inner lining of the skin on your shoes.
- Buff with a soft cloth.
- You're done.
Some of our favorite Lifehacker posts include:
- Avoid looking like a tourist
- Learn how to throw a knife
- Make a lost screw finder from a blank media spindle
- Mix your own liquid Tamiflu for kids
- Web site Theme Park Maps lets you plan your attack before you get there
- Build a "Beeping Thing" to prank co-workers
- How to build a DIY dorm-legal A/C
- Use a candle to keep doors and windows from sticking
- The first-timer's guide to building a computer from scratch
- Make your own homemade butter
Have you tried any of these ideas? Do you have a favorite do-it-yourself Web site? We'd love to hear about them.
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE and AMEX. See delay times for other exchanges.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Thomson Reuters (click for restrictions). Real-time quotes provided by BATS Exchange. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Interactive Data Real-Time Services. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by SIX Financial Information.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Think you know all the cheap travel tips? You don't. But these veteran travelers do. Read on for the details.