Kellogg recalls cereals because of odd smell
Recall includes batches of Corn Pops, Honey Smacks, Froot Loops and Apple Jacks.
Kellogg Co. is recalling some of its more popular breakfast cereals because of what the company called "an uncharacteristic off-flavor and smell coming from the liner in the package."
- Bing: Kellogg and the FDA
Kellogg said it believes the potential for serious health problems is low but cautioned that some consumers are sensitive to the uncharacteristic off-flavor and smell and should not eat the recalled products because of possible temporary symptoms, including nausea and diarrhea.
"We apologize to our consumers and our customers and are working diligently to ensure that the affected products are rapidly removed from the marketplace," said David Mackay, Kellogg Co. president and chief executive officer.
Only products with the letters "KN" following the "better if used before" date are included in the recall. Products with a "KM" designation are NOT included in the recall. No products in Canada are affected.
The recalled products, which were distributed nationwide, include:
- Kellogg's Apple Jacks:
- UPC 3800039136 1: 17-ounce packages with "better if used before" dates between April 10, 2011, and June 22, 2011.
- UPC 3800039132 3: 8.7-ounce packages with dates between June 3, 2011, and June 22, 2011.
- Kellogg's Corn Pops:
- UPC 3800039109 5: 12.5-ounce packages with dates between March 26, 2011, and June 22, 2011.
- UPC 3800039111 8: 17.2-ounce packages with dates between March 26, 2011, and June 22, 2011.
- UPC 3800039116 3: 9.2-ounce packages with dates between April 5, 2011, and June 22, 2011.
- Kellogg's Froot Loops (all with dates between March 26, 2011, and June 22, 2011):
- UPC 3800039118 7: 12.2-ounce packages.
- UPC 3800039120 0: 17-ounce packages.
- UPC 3800039125 5: 8.7-ounce packages.
- Kellogg's Honey Smacks:
- UPC 3800039103 3: 15.3-ounce packages with dates between March 26, 2011, and June 22, 2011.
People with questions or who would like a replacement can contact the Kellogg Consumer Response Center toll-free at (888) 801-4163 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Eastern time.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Occupy Wall Street bought and forgave the student loan debt of more than 2,700 Everest College students.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'