The world's easiest camping trip
Forget hiking into the back of beyond. Pitch your tent a little closer to home.
"Even if you don't have the time, money, or inclination to load up the camping equipment and head to the woods, your kids can still experience the joy of a campout," she wrote in a post called "Recipe for a backyard campout."
And here's another good reason to try "roughing it":
"Time in the dark, away from the television and computer, is a great time to find out what's on your child's mind," says Lynnae, a mom of two.
No expensive gear needed
Don't have a tent? Improvise with sheets. This is another good reason to have a clothesline.
No firepit, or a burn ban in your tinder-dry neighborhood? Use a barbecue to cook the hot dogs (on sticks or straightened wire coat hangers) and roast some marshmallows. S'mores are absolutely essential.
- Bing: S'mores recipes
Obviously you need to use good judgment as to whether it's safe to spend the night outdoors. After all, even some manicured suburbs have crime problems.
- Video: Time to cut the cable?
Other places have bear problems -- and the smell of graham crackers, chocolate and melted marshmallows would definitely attract ursine attention.
7 more reasons
But by all means give it a try if you can. And here are my top seven reasons that a backyard campout beats a "real" one:
- You don't have to drive somewhere and then hike somewhere.
- No worries about someone breaking into your vehicle parked at the trailhead.
- No need to carry heavy packs.
- If it rains you can just go in the house.
- You won't hike five miles in and then realize you forgot the can opener.
- No noisy, beer-besotted fishermen in the next tent over. In fact, no next tent at all.
- You don't have to pee in the bushes unless you really want to.
More from MSN Money:
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
You can give your car the care it needs without draining your bank account if you follow this advice.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'