Who gets Black Friday cheers and jeers?
DealNews gives Amazon top marks for live price-matching.
Who were the winners and losers on Black Friday?
More shoppers came out this year than last year, but they spent less. Some of the popular small items were sold out before Cyber Monday sales. We’re not shopping from work today, but we do have our eyes on a few deals online if we finish our work in time.
- Video: Black Friday score card
The big winner, they say, was Amazon, which cut prices live to match the best deals offered at Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy and nearly every other store. Blu-ray and DVD movie prices hit new lows, with popular films selling for $10 or less.
Among the merchants to whom DealNews offered “cheers” were:
- Office Depot, for free shipping all week. If you’re still shopping, by the way, DealNews has some Office Depot coupons that are still good.
- Wal-Mart, for putting all its Black Friday doorbusters online at 4 a.m. This cheer was a bit half-hearted, however, because the best deals sold in minutes, both online and in stores.
- TigerDirect.com, which donated more than $100,000 to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, through its “Pink Friday” promotion.
Among the merchants receiving “jeers” from DealNews were:
- Newegg, whose servers bogged down under all the traffic, meaning that, by the time customers slogged through the order process, the items were sold out.
- Sears, whose sale prices were substantially worse than its usual prices and higher than competitors’ prices.
- Costco, which offered as its lead Black Friday product a GPS deal that had been in effect since Nov. 7.
What did you think of this year’s Black Friday deals? Or are you too busy with Cyber Monday shopping to comment?
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE and AMEX. See delay times for other exchanges.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Thomson Reuters (click for restrictions). Real-time quotes provided by BATS Exchange. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Interactive Data Real-Time Services. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by SIX Financial Information.