Free entry to national parks Wednesday
Veterans and military personnel honored with free meals, discounts.
Wednesday, Nov. 11, is Veterans Day, when all Americans remember those who have served their country.
In our family, we remember my mother’s brother, who died in World War II, one nephew in Iraq and his brother who has just returned from Iraq. My father served in the Army, but he was lucky enough to serve in peacetime and have the job of booking entertainment for troops at Fort Knox, Ky. There he met my mother, who was a music teacher, and here I am.
In honor of Veterans Day, the National Park Service is offering free admission to all national parks for everyone on Wednesday. Other federal agencies also are offering free entry to public lands. The Park Service also has information on sites tied to the nation’s military history, and some parks plan special events.
Several stores and restaurants are offering special deals to veterans:
- Past and present military personnel with proof of military service can get a free entrée from participating Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill & Bar locations on Wednesday.
- Anyone who has served in the U.S. armed forces can get a free meal from Golden Corral from 5 to 9 p.m. Monday, Nov. 16.
- Veterans can get a free lunch or dinner entrée from a special menu at McCormick & Schmick’s 11th Annual Veterans Appreciation Event on Sunday, Nov. 8. Reservations are required.
- Uno Chicago Grill is offering a free entrée or individual pizza Nov. 11 to veterans and active-duty personnel who show up in uniform, bring a photo of themselves in uniform or bring military ID.
- Veterans and active military personnel can get one free doughnut Nov. 11 at participating Krispy Kreme stores.
- Lowe's Companies is offering all active, reserve, honorably discharged, retired military personnel and their immediate family members a 10% discount on in-store purchases up to $5,000 Nov. 6-11. To qualify, individuals must present a valid military ID or other proof of service.
- Home Depot is offering all active duty personnel, reservists, retired military, veterans and their families a 10% discount on purchases up to $2,000 Nov. 6-11.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Saving just a single month of expenses may take longer than you think. See how your savings rate affects how quickly you can build a solid emergency fund.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'