Free food -- if you can eat it all
Some of these restaurant food challenges also come with T-shirts and cash prizes.
We love that TV show “Man v. Food,” where Adam Richman stuffs his face with hot wings by the truckload or enough oysters to clog the Panama Canal. (OK, we exaggerate somewhat.) In many of these settings, you don’t have to pay if you can meet the restaurant’s challenge.
Better yet, sometimes you can win cash.
Now you can easily find many of these "deals," thanks to a post (with photos!) at Coupon Sherpa. The first stop is Denny’s Beer Barrel Pub in Clearfield, Pa., where two people can chow down for free on the 15-pound Belly Buster burger -- if the entire thing is gone in three hours.
Otherwise that burger -- 20-inch patty on a 17-inch bun, an entire head of lettuce, 25 slices of cheese, etc. -- costs a cool $49.95.
A better deal seems to be the 20-inch Belly Buster two-topping pizza at Pizza Party in Santa Clara, Calif. Finish in an hour (and don’t regurgitate) and you get your $19.95 entry fee, a T-shirt, plus a free monthly extra-large pizza for a year. The competitive eaters among those on the restaurant’s Wall of Fame finished it off in less than a half-hour.
- Bing: Top competitive eaters
- Consume a massive bowl -- including 2 pounds each of noodles and beef -- in an hour at Pho Garden in San Francisco, and it’s free. Plus you’ll be on the Wall of Champions.
- The contest at Big Pie in the Sky in Kennesaw, Ga., is the Carnivore Challenge -- two people eat an 11-pound pizza in an hour. Win and you get $250. Fail and you lose your $50 entry fee.
- Feel like breakfast? Coupon Sherpa says that only seven people in 15 years have completed the Pancake Challenge at Seiad Valley Store and Café in Seiad Valley, Calif. It’s 5 pounds of pancakes, with butter and syrup, in two hours.
- Here’s one we know we could do: The “World’s Biggest Corned Beef Sandwich” at Gus and Paul’s in Springfield, Mass., has 2.5 pounds of meat, a pound of Swiss cheese and is a bit heavy on the mustard -- a half pound of that. It comes with coleslaw and french fries. Consume all within an hour.
Many of the challenges on the list involve burger/fries or pizza. Not a one was like this: the Big Fat Ugly at Fat Sandwich Company in Champaign, Ill., which must be eaten in 15 minutes. Coupon Sherpa says:
This includes two rolls, four cheeseburgers, double cheesesteak, chicken cheesesteak, gyro meat, grilled chicken, bacon, sausage, mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, chicken nuggets, mac n cheese bites, fried mushrooms, jalapeno poppers, pizza bites, onion rings, hash browns, mini corn dogs, American cheese, mayo, ketchup ... .
Meanwhile, Pointers Delivery in Richmond Heights, Mo., offers one of the biggest cash prizes -- $500 ($450 after entry fee is refunded) for a team of two that can finish off the 10-pound Pointersaurus Pizza in one hour. Since 2001, only 18 teams have won.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
If you worry about money after the streetlights come on, these actions may help you rest easier.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'