Finally, a home for all that zucchini
Organize a neighborhood produce swap and enjoy a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs.
Kind of like spinning straw into gold. And this sort of thing goes on all the time thanks to the Hillside Produce Cooperative, a group of neighbors in northeast Los Angeles.
In a post called "Delicious and nutritious free food," Angela outlined several reasons to love this idea:
- The produce is super-fresh. (Let's hear it for locavores!)
- The program eliminates waste, especially in an area where trees drip fruit faster than people can eat it.
- It builds community.
- Even if you have no place to garden, you can still participate by contributing baked goods.
- Bing: Organic gardening
Think of the health benefits. Think of getting to know your neighbors. Think how varied your menu will be next spring and summer.
That is, unless everyone mostly plants zucchini.
More from MSN Money:
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'