How to get a free credit score
Signing up for credit-monitoring and then canceling is only one way to get your score for free.
Over the years, readers have asked me how to get their credit score without a credit card. What they want to avoid is signing up for a free trial of a credit-monitoring service to get their score and then having to cancel the service to avoid being charged. And in some cases, folks don't have credit cards to begin with.
Remember that a credit score and credit report are different. A credit report lists information about you and your credit history, such as what loans and credit cards you have, and your payment history. By federal law, you can get your credit report for no charge through AnnualCreditReport.com. But the report you get doesn't include your credit score.
To get your credit score, you basically have three options:
- Buy it. If you just want to buy your official FICO score and be done with it, myFICO is the answer. MyFICO is run by Fair Isaac Corp., which created the FICO credit-scoring model. Through myFICO, you can buy your credit score for a one-time fee.
- Free trial. Several companies offer your credit score for free when you sign up for a trial of their credit-monitoring services. My personal favorite is Identity Guard, which I've found to be very easy to use, and it offers tools to help improve your score. Other options include creditreport.com, Equifax, and zendough by TransUnion.
- Scores without cards. The third way to get your free credit score is through services that offer scores for free with no credit card required. What's the catch? We'll look at the two primary services -- Credit Karma and Quizzle -- but there really is no catch. They make money through advertisements on their sites, but we haven't found that to be a problem. The scores are not official FICO scores, but we'll talk about that below
Credit Karma. Credit Karma provides you with a credit report card (not credit report) and your credit score as calculated by TransUnion. One of the nice features is that the report card explains those factors that are either helping or hurting your credit score. No credit card is required and you don't have to sign up for a free trial. For more details, you can check out our Credit Karma review.
Quizzle. Quizzle provides a service similar to Credit Karma, except that the credit score comes from Experian. In addition to your credit score, Quizzle provides a budget tool and helps you track and build an emergency fund. You can get more details in our Quizzle review.
FICO score vs. other scores
As noted above, Credit Karma and Quizzle do not provide FICO credit scores. The scores are derived from credit information on file with two major credit agencies, but they do not use the FICO formula. The reason has to do with licensing the formula from Fair Isaac.
That said, the scores do provide a good indication of your credit score and how to improve it. And it's hard to do better than free. Even if you want your official FICO score through myFICO, it's worth checking out the credit tools and scores from Credit Karma or Quizzle.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Tired of your wallet taking a beating at the grocery store? Here are some creative ways to save big on food costs.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'