January is a hot month at thrift stores
Find out how to maximize your savings.
This is something that retailers won't want to hear, but January is a particularly good time to shop at thrift stores, The Thrifty Chicks
advise. Thrift store shelves and racks are full of end-of-year
charitable contributions of things and Christmas gifts the recipients
Before you go, get over the silly notion that "if it's not new, it's EWW." Once there, follow the shopping tips from The Thrifty Chicks, a site dedicated to thrift store shopping. "Our tips will turn a novice into a master," thrifty chick "Ms. Shopping Golightly" says.
This site make a powerful argument in favor of secondhand stores.
For instance, you:
- Cut out the middleman. A lot of stuff sold on eBay and in "funky boutiques" was purchased at thrift stores and marked up, it says.
- Get more value with each dollar. In comparison, retail store prices for new stuff will seem "obscene."
- Help the environment. That new-to-you item is already here, and isn't a new thing that sucks up even more resources when it's manufactured, packaged and shipped from overseas.
The Thrifty Chicks is loaded with great thrift-shopping tips. The No. 1 tip for getting the best deals: Go often.
- Use a shopping cart. Even if you don't fill it, you'll need both hands to plow through all the items, including things that other shoppers have attempted to hide in anticipation of a storewide half-off sale.
- If you find something great, put it in your cart and keep looking. People who donate often bring in multiple items, and you'll score big if you really like their taste.
- Of course, you're not being frugal if you buy things you don't need.
- The thrill of the hunt: Shopping secondhand stores
- Discounts hiding in your wallet
- 50 ways to trim your budget
- Yard sales: 6 things to buy and how to get a better deal
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Tired of your wallet taking a beating at the grocery store? Here are some creative ways to save big on food costs.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'