Do free samples cover Costco membership?
His friends save the cost of a meal every week
"FMF" at Free Money Finance asked a question for the ages in a recent post. OK, it really wasn't. But it is food for thought. The post is called "Can you pay for a Costco membership by eating free samples?"
And just like the answers to more serious questions -- such as will the economic stimulus package work? -- the answer here is: It depends.
FMF thought about this because a couple he knows shop at Costco every week, and they eat so many free samples that it saves the cost of a meal.
The possible answers are:
- Yes, you cover the membership -- $45, which includes a free card for your spouse -- if you eat there once a week or even once a month, and would otherwise be spending at least $2.50 per person per meal. Add in kids and it's a big bonus.
- No, if you're buying things there that you don't need or won't use, which has been known to happen when people shop at Costco.
Is this a legitimate way to save money? FMF also asks if "using this strategy is in some way dishonest and over-the-top when it comes to saving money?"
This sparked a lively discussion among readers, one of whom remarked, "Maybe you folks should also bring a change of clothes, a pair of sunglasses and disguise your voice just to make sure you can go back two or three times over. This is ridiculous. Why not just crash a wedding reception every weekend?"
- 5 best -- and worst -- Costco deals
- Can Costco keep prices low?
- Discounts hiding in your wallet
- 6 secrets for club-shopping success
Published Feb. 2, 2009
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Are you being stalked behind the wheel? Here's how to tell and what you can do about it.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'