Find Coffee Day deals at local spots
Chains aren't offering free drinks for National Coffee Day. Check local stores on Facebook and Twitter. Or just make your own.
The major chains have been duking it out, trying to become your top choice for coffee drinks, but where are they on National Coffee Day?
Starbucks and McDonald's are silent, offering not one single coffee deal that we could find for National Coffee Day today, Sept 29. Perhaps it's the rising costs. A few Dunkin' Donuts locations are offering free coffee (and even speed dating), but that's a local promotion. And that's after Dunkin' did a survey showing how much we depend on coffee to get us through the day.
So what is a coffee lover to do?
Celebrate National Coffee Day by visiting a local coffeehouse or making a great cup of java at home. Post continues after video.
If you're looking for a coffee deal, start by searching on Facebook and Twitter for your favorite local establishment. That's where a lot of the last-minute deals are being announced.
Here are some cafes and restaurants offering coffee deals today:
- LaMar's Donuts is offering a free 12-ounce coffee at participating locations with this coupon. No purchase is required, but you'd be crazy not to get a doughnut.
- Dunkin' Donuts locations in Pittsburgh will have free mug refills Wednesday, plus speed dating at one location.
- Dunn Bros. Coffee will reward its e-mail club members with a 12-ounce cup of coffee free. It's not too late to join and get the coupon.
- Boyd Coffee in Portland, Ore., will offer all drinks buy one, get one free.
- Pineland Bakery in Waynesboro, Ga., will give you a free cup of coffee if you come in and say "Happy National Coffee Day."
- At The Roasterie Café in Kansas City, Mo., the magic words "air roasted" will get you a free 8-ounce cup of coffee from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
If you can't find a free cup of coffee near you, you can brew yourself the perfect cup at home. Here are instructions from the National Coffee Association. Most days, brewing your own coffee is the frugal thing to do.
Plus, you often end up with better coffee.
Here are a few coupons to make your coffee at home even more economical:
- 55 cents off a pint of International Delight Coffeehouse Inspirations.
- $1.50 off new Starbucks Fusions flavored coffee. (The coupon is on the right, about halfway down.) My supermarket also had this coffee on sale.
- $2 off two bags of Eight O'Clock Coffee if you sign up for the company's e-mail list. Find the link to the coupon at the top right of the page. This coffee goes on sale frequently, so you might want to wait for a sale to print your coupon.
- 15% off all orders at Just One Cup Sept. 29. Use promo code NCDS29.
- 15% off at Southwest Roasters for National Coffee Day. Enter Coffee Day at checkout.
- Five bags of Community Coffee for $20 with promo code FIVE.
I'll be mixing a small amount of my discounted Starbucks Fusions vanilla (Eight O'Clock Coffee has vanilla, too) with freshly ground artisan roasted coffee ordered by mail from the family-owned Buona Caffe Artisan Roasted Coffee. Life is too short to drink bad coffee.
What's the secret to your perfect morning coffee, whether you buy it out or make it yourself?
More from MSN Money:
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'