Free food and fun for Halloween
There's nothing scary about these deals.
Halloween is coming, and that’s as good an excuse for free stuff as anything. This year, merchants have all kinds of freebies for us.
Monroe on a Budget has a good list of sales on costumes and candy at national chain stores. Nestle has printable coupons good for $1 off Nestle and Wonka candy products. (Look for the boxes on the right.) You can get coupons for $2 off larger bags at Coupons.com.
Other deals are as wide-ranging as coupons for free bowling, yogurt for used candy wrappers and free burritos for anyone who dresses like one.
Remember that not all local restaurants participate in all national promotions, so be sure to check with your store.
Here are the deals for free food:
- Chipotle is offering a free “boo”rito to anyone who dresses as a burrito or something else Chipotle-like. We’re not sure what kind of costume would make us look like guacamole, but we hear foil is a popular accessory for this giveaway. The deal is valid 6 p.m. to closing.
- Taco Bell will give one free Black Jack Taco to each customer from 6 p.m. to midnight Oct. 31. And you don’t even have to dress like a food item.
- For each $1 donation made at participating Burger King restaurants through Oct. 31, guests will receive a booklet containing eight coupons for free value-size french fries. The proceeds will benefit the Burger King Scholars Program, which provides scholarships to graduating high school seniors.
- Kids 12 and under in costume can receive a free kids’ meals (with the purchase of one adult entrée) for lunch or dinner at Applebee’s Oct. 31.
- Trade in your candy wrappers for a coupon for a free YoCrunch yogurt. One coupon per household.
- Kids wearing a costume eat free at Souplantation and Sweet Tomatoes Oct. 30 and 31. One kids' meal per adult mealt and can't be combined with other offers.
Lots of local stores are putting on free events for children. At least three national chains plan free events:
- Bass Pro Shops is hosting free family events for Halloween from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 30 and noon to 4 p.m. Oct. 31.
- Michael’s is putting on The Knack Free Family Halloween event from 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 31, with a free trick-or-treat pail, balloon, candy and crafts.
- Toys R Us is hosting a free costume parade from noon to 3 p.m. Oct. 31. Kids will get a free Halloween bag and free treats.
There is nothing spooky about these non-edible Halloween deals:
- Speaking of Sears, though Oct. 31, you can get a free portrait collage without paying a session fee (a $45 value). Check the small print on the coupon for the rules. The coupon code is 10472.
- Not to be outdone, Wal-Mart also is offering a free portrait collage with purchase, a $29.99 value. This deal is good through Nov. 3.
Finally, you can also get free Halloween printable stencils, sounds and other goodies online:
- At Nick Jr., you’ll find stencils for characters such as Dora and Swiper, and the Backyardigans.
- Better Homes & Gardens has free printable pumpkin stencils on its Web site.
Know of any other good Halloween freebies or deals? Leave a comment and share the wealth.
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE and AMEX. See delay times for other exchanges.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
A new federal safety report shows toddlers and minority children make up a disproportionate number of drowning victims.