2010 top toys: Cute and high-tech
Never heard of Squinkies and Zoobles? You'd better start looking for them now. Plus: Grab a Sing-a-ma-jig.
Wondering what the hot toys will be this holiday season?
Value is key, toy mavens Jim Silver and Christopher Byrne said in a news release. Of their 16 top toys, only five cost more than $30. Said Silver:
Overall price points have come down in the toy industry and companies recognize that families are looking for value. Parents -- and their kids -- can find value in a $10 toy and a $70 toy but what makes something a "keeper" is whether or not kids will play with it for more than 30 minutes; true value is about providing longevity in the home.
This is their list, in alphabetical order (click the name of the toy to see photos):
- Air Hogs Moto Frenzy motorized motorcycle, $24.99.
- Disney Princess & Me Dolls, $49.99.
- Hot Wheels R/C Stealth Rides motorized toy cars, $24.99.
- Leapster Explorer, $69.99.
- LEGO Games, including one with Harry Potter, $29.99.
- Loopz, a party game, $29.99.
- Monster High dolls, $16.99.
- Nerf N-Strike Stampede ECS Blaster, $49.99.
- Paper Jamz air guitar, $24.99.
- Real Construction building set, $24.99.
- Scrabble Flash game, $29.99.
- Sing-a-ma-jigs, plush toys that play music, $12.99.
- Squinkies, plastic toys that come in capsules, $6.99
- Tonka Chuck & Friends Chuck's Stunt Park from Playskool, $39.99.
- V.Reader, essentially a Kindle for kids, $59.99.
- Zoobles plastic animals, $9.99.
Love them or hate them, these quirky toys are quickly becoming Internet stars. The toys, which croon like "Alvin and the Chipmunks," have already starred in a number of YouTube videos.
What do you think? Will you be buying any of these toys for your children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews this season? Or maybe you secretly want the Paper Jamz guitar yourself to play along with the kids' Sing-a-ma-jigs.
More from MSN Money:
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Tired of your wallet taking a beating at the grocery store? Here are some creative ways to save big on food costs.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'