When you have a bad boss
Blogger offers tips for minimizing conflict.
Many people have had a bad boss in their career -- a supervisor who is manipulative, deceitful, vicious, grossly egotistical or all of the above.
- Bing: Bad-boss stories
There is a caveat here: These tips will work best if the boss’s bad behavior is directed specifically at you and not the entire workforce. "It's a lot more difficult to avoid conflict if your supervisor treats everyone the same way," Patrick writes.
Among the tips:
- Schedule a meeting to discuss your concerns. Patrick correctly observes, "Many people prefer to avoid conflict once it is out in the open." This isn't the time to grouse and whine. Emphasize that you want to increase your value to the team.
- Reduce opportunities for conflict. The key here is to not give the bad boss ammunition to use against you. Be exemplary. And that includes NOT complaining to co-workers about what an idiot she or he is. (That may be tough, no?)
- Don't make the boss look bad. In fact, do the opposite, without lying. On the other hand, Patrick suggests ways to keep the boss from taking credit for your good work.
- Document, document, document. Yes, this is a pain. But it will help prove you're in the right -- especially if you're fired.
- Take it upstairs. It may come to this -- and it should if your boss is breaking the law or company policies.
Have you had a bad boss in your work life? How did you improve the situation?
"I've found that if you can make yourself indispensable, it will go a long way toward a good (or at least tolerable) relationship with your boss," The Dough Roller commented at Patrick's post. "That said, sometimes you have a boss so bad that you just have to leave and find another job. That happened to me once."
We know how that goes. Do you?
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Banks offer confusing and conflicting information about overdraft protection, making it hard for customers to understand the real costs.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'