Packers? Steelers? Pizza wins the food bowl
Super Bowl Sunday is one of the top days for pizza delivery. You can take advantage of deals or make your own pies.
Are you planning to order pizza for Super Bowl Sunday? You're not alone.
Super Bowl Sunday is one of the five top pizza-ordering days of the year, and some pizza chains say it's their busiest day.
"Pizza is a party food. It's a communal food. It's meant to be shared. It's inexpensive and everyone likes it," Jeremy White of Pizza Today told The Associated Press.
Here are a few numbers:
- Papa John's expects to travel 300,000 miles, the equivalent of 1.3 round trips to the moon, for deliveries.
- Domino's Pizza expects to deliver more than 9 million slices.
- Pizza Hut expects to sell 2 million pies, up from 1.7 million last year.
Pizza restaurants are gearing up for the big day, making sure they have plenty of supplies and drivers on hand. Some restaurants, including Pizza Hut, are accepting preorders for Super Bowl pizzas. Post continues after video.
Papa John's, which is the "official pizza sponsor" of Super Bowl XLV, is offering free pizzas to members of its My Papa Points program if the game goes into overtime, plus hosting a pizza giveaway on its website.
What I know about football could fit on a piece of pepperoni, but I hear that overtime is not likely so you may want to make other meal plans.
Luckily, there are some pizza deals available no matter how the game goes:
- Papa John's is offering all large pizzas for $10. This isn't just for the Super Bowl, but has been in effect for a while.
- Pizza Hut is offering its Big Dipper, which it advertises as nearly 2 feet long, with one topping for $12, if you preorder. If you go to the website and enter your ZIP code, you may find additional coupons and deals for your area.
Domino's doesn't appear to have any national Super Bowl-specific promotions, but you may find a deal locally. The chain offers location-specific deals on the Web.
If you're thinking of ordering pizza, sign up today on the e-mail lists of your favorite pizza joints. You may get a coupon or special offer before Sunday.
If you prefer to make your own pizza (and we think you should), Allrecipes.com has a collection of Super Bowl pizza recipes. Mary Ann Esposito at Ciao Italia has a super-fast pizza recipe, and her readers are submitting recipes, too. And you can find lots of great pizza recipes at Delish.
Of course, you don't have to eat pizza. Karen has provided suggestions for frugal foods in the Steelers and Packers traditions.
Boston Market has a coupon for $15 off any $75 catering order. Quiznos has a coupon for $5 off a $20 catering order or $10 off a $35 order. This coupon from HoneyBaked gives you $7 off an order of $45 or more in some states.
More from MSN Money:
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
Occupy Wall Street bought and forgave the student loan debt of more than 2,700 Everest College students.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'